PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

A M A
12-22-2003, 19:13
what kind of trouble will a thermostat cause if it is bad

britannic
12-22-2003, 20:06
It can stay shut and cause your heads to overheat, blow gaskets, tighten up cylinders to the point of siezing pistons and any and all manner of bad things. Or it can stay open and the engine won't heat up on cold days, or it can be sluggish and open too slowly, or open too quickly.

There's many variations on the type of failure, but if overheating is the symptom, then it's worth shelling out $5.00 or so to replace it.

A M A
12-23-2003, 17:57
could it make truck smoke white very rich in diesel smell

britannic
12-23-2003, 18:19
Not that likely, maybe on a long downhill run with the engine at idle fuel levels on a very cold winter's day if the 'stat stuck open.

Providing the glow plugs, HPCA and fast idle are working, with zero air leaks and the IP in good order, there should be very little smoke at startup for a few minutes.

Leaky injectors, low compression on a high mileage engine, faulty lift and/or inj. pump, retarded IP and/or cam timing (worn chain) are all factors in smokey engines.

With a badly worn timing chain and IP, my engine couldn't be timed beyond 5* ATDC @ 1400rpm and it became very smokey and hard to start when warmed up and the glowplugs were inhibited.

A M A
12-24-2003, 07:13
i have no trouble with starts at any time the truck runs great until i let it come to a idle then the white smoke start very white and smells very very rich like makes eyes water

britannic
12-24-2003, 08:10
How many miles does your injector pump and injectors have on them? What is your timing set to? How many miles does your timing chain have? How old is the diesel fuel? Has the fuel been treated?

Does the smoke definitely smell like raw fuel or is it more like antifreeze (dumb question I know, but we have to ask it :D ).

Check and change any of the components listed above if they have more than 100K miles. Injectors wear the quickest and it's good practice to change them by at least 75K.

A M A
12-24-2003, 16:29
it is with out a ? diesel it is very rich i dont know what the miles are i sure the block was swaped out with gm crate but i dont know if all the goodes were taken care of it could be old i/p and injectors i can tell u this i did have injectors that were leaking and i swaped with a few from junk yard i know thats not the right thing to do but i was trying to find out if the leaking injectors were makeing the white smoke but no go i also swaped the thermo with new and fule filter no luck i did take the i/p top off and found that it is sloppy inside i thinkmit might be i/p truck runs great when going down the road if i am going 5mphs or 70mphs so i dont think it inside the motor i will find it just takes time thanks and merry x-mass

britannic
12-24-2003, 17:02
You still need to verify the cam chain and IP timing as well... But it is likely you'll end up replacing the IP and injectors.

An air leak in the fuel system can definitely cause smoking at idle - I suffered from that when my fuel filter water drain cock seal failed.

[ 12-24-2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

A M A
12-24-2003, 17:23
how did your truck act

A M A
12-24-2003, 17:25
i now the i/p timming is on i checked it for the timing hoe do u go about and what do u need

britannic
12-24-2003, 19:07
My truck had some pretty weird behavior with the throttle shaft leak. For example if the throttle was idled at 2500rpm, opening it back up wasn't progressive, but was like throwing an on/off switch. Often the engine would surge from cold and wet soot was ejected from the tail pipe.

CleviteKid
12-25-2003, 07:31
Hey Brit,

I know you Limeys don't see much sun in Jolly Olde, but fer cripe's sake, you live in Sunny Kalifornia now. Get out and get some sun; in your avatar you look as white as a ghost !!!

The Clevite Kid :D