PDA

View Full Version : Normal EGTs for turbo'd 6.2L

crew84
12-24-2003, 12:26
What are the 'normal' EGTs for a turbo'd 6.2L at different speeds like 40-50-60-70 mph. I know that I have been unhappy with mine which has made me have the injection pump rebuilt twice.
Right now I run down the road unloaded at 50mph with a EGT temp of a little over 400 degrees. At 60mph it runs at 500 degrees and at 70 it is almost 600 degrees. Now this running on flat highway with no wind. Any grade at all the temps jump fast. These temps jump to 700 to 900 degrees fast with a grade or the throttle pushed. Up a steady grade unloaded at 65 it will go to 1000 degrees fast and slowly(within 15 seconds) climb to just under 1100 degrees.
I have played with the timing and this is the best I can get.
I keep on trying to find a restricted return line because I have sometimes have had my truck all of a sudden run smoother with more power at different times. Usually after filling up or just getting off the highway. It only lasts a few miles and will not repeat until weeks later.

Peter J. Bierman
12-24-2003, 14:18
Your EGT's sound kinda normal to me, I run more or less the same at 50, 60, 70.
Exept for the high readings, those I can't get.
Hope the new pump is going to improve that :D .
For the smouth running after the fill up;
see if your tank breather is open, or measure vacuum before the lift pump, anything less then slightly below zero is not good. Maybe the fuelpipe in side the tank is partially blocked.

Merry Christmas

Peter

catmandoo
12-24-2003, 15:21
i have a 92 1/2 ton ext cab 2wd with 5spd and with no headwind i run just under 400 degrees at 60 and 2 lbs boost if i jump up to 70mph it will go up to 500 but if i hold steady it will slowly come down to about 400 again,and i have a good size hill close to me and if i hold it at a steady 60-65 up it temps will climb to 650 i don't think i have ever seen 700 egt.

grape
12-24-2003, 16:52
exactly the same as me with the banks deal.

A M A
12-24-2003, 17:33
can u get a gauge to what this if so what is it called and how much ball park thank u merry x-mass

catmandoo
12-24-2003, 20:09
it's called a pyro and you can get them at some parts houses mine came with my banks set-up and if you go to tap for the probe try to do it before the turbo if you have one,as after turbo will give a low reading usually about 100degrees or so.

britannic
12-24-2003, 21:07
Originally posted by catmandoo:
it's called a pyro and you can get them at some parts houses mine came with my banks set-up and if you go to tap for the probe try to do it before the turbo if you have one,as after turbo will give a low reading usually about 100degrees or so. After the turbo, it's closer to 200F less than the pre-turbo temp., so err on the side of caution if that is the pyrometer's location.

Oblin Goblin
12-25-2003, 11:20
Your EGTs sound exactly like mine, assuming you don't have an overdrive transmission. If you do than your EGTs are lower than mine. I get just about 600 degrees at 70 mph if I'm in 4th gear (direct). What kinds of grades are you pulling? I live in Davis, CA, just east of you so I imagine we're pulling alot of the same grades. Your high readings are a little higher than mine, but that may be just because of how you have the fuel screw set. I turned my fuel back just a little about 6 months after I put my turbo on because my EGTs would climb quickly at high altitudes. Now I don't have a problem until I get to 8000 feet or so. At sea level its hard for me to get the EGT past 950 with the fuel set where its at.

crew84
12-25-2003, 14:03
I have a GearVendor O/D. My rear end gearing is 4:10. I have checked the EGT readings in and out of overdrive. I have issues with my power. If I turn down the Injection pump to the point my EGTs stay at 1000 degrees my truck is lower powered than it was NA. Man is it gutless at lower EGTs! When I had IP turned really up but with hardy any smoke I had real power but high EGTs. Since you live close you would know of the grade on Highway 80 that heads to Vallejo from Cordela/Davis. My truck with 200K before the turbo could pull it at 65mph if there was not a head wind. Now with the turbo I can pull it at 65 mph at 900-1000 degrees EGTs. I can slowly accellerate to 75mph but the EGTs go to the max. I had two injectors stick open when I had the IP turned up so I had to replace them. The truck had no problems pulling the grade then. I could keep the EGTs below the max with the throttle. I could not see puling any load with the EGTs that it would go to.

Oblin Goblin
12-25-2003, 19:07
Yeah I know what grade you're talking about. Are you talking about pulling it in OD or direct? And are you talking about east bound from Vallejo to Cordela or west bound from Cordela to Vallejo? Going west tword SF I can pull that first steep part of the grade thats just past the 680 interchange in OD at 65 to 70 with the peddle floored and 900-950 degrees EGT. I can go the rest of the of the way in OD at 75+ if I keep it to the floor. Going east bound from Vallejo to Cordela I usually can't pull the hill coming out of Vallejo in OD. In direct I could probly pull it at 75+ if I hit the bottom going at that speed, but usually I end up going up it at 70 with the peddle a little off the floor and EGTs at 800 to 900 and about 7 psi of boost. This is in a Blazer with 3.42 rears and a 5 speed nv4500 transmission.

crew84
12-25-2003, 23:44
My speeds are about the same but my truck is heavier and my gears are higher. I have driven in OD and out of OD on both grades. The EGTs seem to be the same but the engine is whining pretty high out of OD. If I adjust my IP to get the same EGTs you have I would not be able to pull those grades except in the slow lane. I feel that my truck is not hitting on all cylinders at higher rpms. It reminds me of having spark plugs missing under load. Sometimes as I am cruising down the road just a light throttle increase reminds me that it sounds like a miss but not all the time. A little more heavier throttle and the miss sound is gone.

Oblin Goblin
12-26-2003, 09:07
Are your injectors fairly new too? It sounds like your injectors may not all be working quite right. Or maybe the whole set you got when you replaced them wasn't up to spec. You said you had to replace 2 of them right? Maybe the rest of them have issues too. You're not getting alot of blow by out of the oil fill are you? If you had a couple leaking injectors its possible that those cylinders were F-ed up by the leaking injectors. If that were the case though I would imagine you'd be having problems in alot of other areas too, so I would concentrate on the injectors, maybe have them all tested. You might also want to look for boost leaks or restrictions in the intake or exhaust. Problems like that might not show themselves when cruising but would be more obvious when you're under load.

[ 12-26-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Oblin Goblin ]