PDA

View Full Version : So What's Next?

Dieselboy
12-26-2003, 17:08
I know there are few of us out there with some upcoming projects. Let's heat 'em! What's your new year's resolution?

I'll start by saying that my Spring semester isn't starting until January 20th, so with regular maintenance aside my list of modifications is as follows:

1) Build a better throttle bracket using More Power's design (which arrived in the mail today, thank you!)
2) Play with the fuel metering and timing
3) Install new CDR since the old one failed GMCTD's manometer test
4) Start designing a new rear bumper
5) Make a few mods to the boost pipe so the TE06H hooks up better
6) And maybe, just maybe, install a second alternator (if it fits ;) )

Happy new year,

dieselcrawler
12-26-2003, 18:55
This one's easy... my plan is to go 4-wheelin' as much as posible!
As for the truck, I need to modifiy the electrical system, you can read about that in the thread about "CUCV electrical problems, no headlights".
I also would like to put a cross over steering system with hydrolic ram assist on the front Dana 60, it should make turnin' 40" boggers a little easier.
I'd also like to fab some rocker sliders and rear bumper to match the front in strenth. Maybe some skid plates for under the truck, and something to protect the rear drive shaft.
If I can hunt up some of the parts, I'd like to start working on a turbo system. Problem is that I just don't have $2000 to shell out for a Banks kit. I hope to make my own, if I can find the parts, and pick the brains of the fine people that are members of the Diesel Page to get it right!
We'll just have to wait and see wich ones happen... as is the case with most of us, work and family come first, and I will have to deal with things in that order...

Greg

britannic
12-26-2003, 19:08
Originally posted by DieselCrawler:
This one's easy... my plan is to go 4-wheelin' as much as posible!
As for the truck, I need to modifiy the electrical system, you can read about that in the thread about "CUCV electrical problems, no headlights".
I also would like to put a cross over steering system with hydrolic ram assist on the front Dana 60, it should make turnin' 40" boggers a little easier.
I'd also like to fab some rocker sliders and rear bumper to match the front in strenth. Maybe some skid plates for under the truck, and something to protect the rear drive shaft.
If I can hunt up some of the parts, I'd like to start working on a turbo system. Problem is that I just don't have $2000 to shell out for a Banks kit. I hope to make my own, if I can find the parts, and pick the brains of the fine people that are members of the Diesel Page to get it right!
We'll just have to wait and see wich ones happen... as is the case with most of us, work and family come first, and I will have to deal with things in that order...

Greg Every now and then the Bank's kits come up on eBay, also check the DP classifieds and maybe place a want ad.

You could even place an eBay want ad, by posting a fake auction with your requirements.

cowboy832
12-26-2003, 19:59
Well, I am planning an ambitious ground up rebuild of a 82 4x4 3/4 ton truck, but as far as this year goes, the majority will be spent killing people, so I won't get much done on the truck. I should have plenty of time to plan every detail and order a ton of parts, so when I get the time I can knock it out pretty quickly.

catmandoo
12-27-2003, 06:29
hey dieselcrawler i have the banks exhaust manifold for ya plus the aircleaner box and the tube from the turbo to air chamber,i don't however have the turbo or air chamber as i used them.i also have the crossover pipe and the oil line to the turbo.let me know if interested

dieselcrawler
12-27-2003, 12:35
Originally posted by catmandoo:
hey dieselcrawler i have the banks exhaust manifold for ya plus the aircleaner box and the tube from the turbo to air chamber,i don't however have the turbo or air chamber as i used them.i also have the crossover pipe and the oil line to the turbo.let me know if interested catmandoo: I might be, what all turbo would bolt up to it, and how much do you want for the parts? Money might be an issue for me at the moment, but let me know what you have in mind... if you prefer email, try electricwonder at hotmail dot com. Maybe we can work something out... Thanks,
Greg

ueckebes
12-28-2003, 13:26
diesel crawler give this some thought,find a bad 6.5 turbo thats complete. i bought one myself two months back gave 400.00 bucks for it only needed a piston,and of course new gaskets the eng now resides in my wifes blazer ,the turbo eventualy go on my ex military blazer although iam kinda happy with it the way it is .anyway im told the 6.5 heads or at least 92 up 6.2 heads have to be a part of the 6.2 to a 6.5 turbo conversion process for clearance reasons with injectors based on side by side compairsons i believe this to be true . i have the banks sys on a 82 3/4 ton and believe this to be a better choice 10 years old lots of miles no problems [if you want more power from a 6.2 a turbo is money well spent] just dont get to greedy on the fuel constant high egt,s will get a piston been there done that .good luck jim

Peter J. Bierman
12-28-2003, 14:13
For this year.....?

At last put in the marine IP with injectors.
Pump is lying around way to long, get the injector nozzles tomorrow. :D
Rebuild the exhaust system and do something about the body, doors start to fall out :eek: .

Have the thing dynoed !!!

Peter

john8662
12-28-2003, 20:29
Projects... never will end..

For the 1995 k2500 6.5 TD:

- 3 1/2 to 4" Mandrel exaust system
- Bigger tires (to offest 4.10 gear ratio)
- Step Pipes
- Install the FSD cooler I have sitting around
- New Injectors and Glows (originals are starting to get tired)

For the 1986 C10 6.2L truck:

- Find out why the heck it don't idle like I'd like it to (smooth like a gasser)
- Install Pyrometer
- Maybee a dual 3" exaust system like the one found underneath Dr. Lee's truck.
- Then turn up the pump a lil

For the 1986 4x4 1/2 burb 6.2L Project Truck:

- Get the sucker back from the paint N Body guy (don't ever tell one to take their time, they sure will)
- Install the Banks turbo with the TEO6H turbo
- Dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF rear upgrades.
- Lift kit
- The list for this rig goes on and on, give me like 2 years!

Last but not least, buy a gasser, need a sports car, say LT1 camaro.

JeepSJ
12-28-2003, 23:42
Well, I just want to get this dang swap completed. 6.2/Banks/700R4 into a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I have the Wag and the trans, Banks is working with me on the turbo, and the engine is supposed to be shipped next week. Plus, I need to learn more about how all this diesel stuff works...

Daan
12-29-2003, 03:57
Got myself a 6.5 block that I'm gonna rebuild. Some day it will have lots of horsies and two turbo's.
Also purchased a Holset HX35W turbo(same one as on a Dodge 6BTAA cummins) which I'll fit into my M1008 6.2. Can't wait to hear it whine... :D

Peter J. Bierman
12-29-2003, 14:08
I lied,
Started today, have the marine pump in allready, pick up the injectors tommorow.
Should be running by the end off the week
:D

Peter

ueckebes
12-30-2003, 17:37
attn; john8662 howdy fellow Texan,the glowing 6.2 emblem [BRILLIANT] jim.

82beast
12-30-2003, 19:27
For this year I would like to get real HIDs or something comparable to them. Anybody no where I can find them? I need better lights whem four-wheeling and also to blind people when they cut-me-off. :mad:
I am also going to install a liquid intercooler on my truck,when I get the time to. :cool:

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year. smile.gif

britannic
12-30-2003, 22:18
Originally posted by 82beast:
For this year I would like to get real HIDs or something comparable to them. Anybody no where I can find them? I need better lights whem four-wheeling and also to blind people when they cut-me-off. :mad:
I am also going to install a liquid intercooler on my truck,when I get the time to. :cool:

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year. smile.gif Try the Sylvana SilverStar replacement sealed beams and bulbs - considerably cheaper and only 100K less in color temperature than a HID.

82beast
12-31-2003, 16:14
thanks for the tip britannic, I will be sure to try and find some place that has them.