PDA

View Full Version : "quick heat plugs" from Kennedy?

libtec
11-02-2004, 19:09
Enlighten me please. Just how fast are a plugs supposed to heat up? When I was testing the plugs in my truck I noticed that the plugs would only turn red on the tip about one second before the contoller kicked off on the initial 5 to 6 second cycle and then do the same red for half a second then shut off on the following couple second blasts the controller does. I'm not Mr know it all but it seems like this is not enough heat time to warm up a chunk of steel that might be well below frozen. Do the quick heat plugs actually glow for a little longer before the controller shuts them down? Is the amount of red heat time I'm seeing with my plugs normal? Is there a way to get more "red hot time" from a plug controller system without doing the blue wire bypass trick and swelling the ends? Thanks in advance!

tom yuenkel
11-03-2004, 09:50
If you goto kennedy's site there is a comarision test showing the preformance of the quick heats vs the standard AC glowplug.........Tom

RT
11-04-2004, 18:30
IIRC, the AC60G plug is a PTC design and can withstand continuous current "indefinitely" and they don't swell when they blow. There are mods that can be done to extend the glow cycle and I think there is also an adjustable timer controller from Kennedy or Peninsular? RT

libtec
11-06-2004, 23:55
Thanks guys! I'm looking into both ideas.

offrdk5
11-22-2004, 13:20
So AC60s can fail?!?