PDA

View Full Version : Used banks turbo

Dezman125
12-31-2003, 10:54
I have found a 86 6.2 with a banks turbo system that was pulled from a sub.I have never had much to do with these systems.It is about 250 miles from my town.The owner wants a offer on it,wants to get it out of his shop.Can anyone tell me what parts i should looking for when i go to look/buy it.I am mostly interested in the turbo system,the engin was running but was using water,the reason he swaped to gas.
I have the heads off my 90 6.2 right now. Is there anything i can do to the engin to prep it for a turbo?
Thanks

ueckebes
12-31-2003, 19:11
yukon6.2 i have a banks kit on 82 gmc with 6.2 love it no probs in 10 years of service.buy whole engine if you can 6.2 parts are hard to get nowadays .you can probably buy it cheap because not many left on the road , [mechanic probably knows this], i gave 1600 for my turbo kit straight from banks,any way if the turbo is of the engine here is a list of things to look for. turbo,oil drain pipe,[leads from turbo to fuel lift pump] adapt that d pipe leads to and lift pump bolts to , air cross over pipe [from turbo to air intake plenium box] plenium box,[bolts to intake],two studs and locknuts,to fasten plenium to intake ,[replaces fact air clnr studs]metal [flex]oil supply line ,KnN air filt,filt box,3.5in[approx] rubber 90 connects turbo to air cleaner,2.5in [approx]exhaust crossover [2 piece] ,rt side exhaust manifold ,3.5in [approx] exhaust pipe off back of turbo ,pyrometer,2 short hoses [air cross pipe],1 short hose [connect oil ret pipe off turbo to fuel lift pump adapt plate] assort clamps. install tips ,oil supply line from turbo connects to galley plug near oil filt 3/8in i think ,turn up injector pump fuel supply screw approx 1/8 turn ,use a quality allen wrench cause screw is stubborn, turn clockwise [from front of vehicle].best advise call banks and get needed info,will include pictures of procedures if not familiar with pump [very simple process] to perform. banks phone 1-800-get-power. will be checking site daily have any quest fill free to ask. hope this helps,good luck. jim

ueckebes
12-31-2003, 19:36
yukon, i almost forgot if engine used water check for signs of it in oil ,just in case . also dont really know of any upgrades with just the heads off ,except maybe injectors,i recently rebuilt a 92 6.2 engine for the truck mentioned earlier and used a high output 6.5 injector in it and the pump off a 93 6.5 eng, [had it rebuilt and turned up a tad] now this thing rocks. also during rebuild installed a timing [gear] did away with chain setup ,[money well spent] might be a idea for you at this time . injectors,gear drive bought from dsg diesel in Canada 306-242-7644. good luck. jim in Texas