PDA

View Full Version : bad turbo? or not? How do I tell?

yeti
11-06-2004, 17:16
I have a chance to buy a garrett turbo. What do I need to look for to see if it any good? Should the impeller turn free? How much play? Etc.

[ 11-06-2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: yeti ]

britannic
11-06-2004, 19:50
Check for axial play in the turbine shaft - radial play is acceptable within limits, since heat and oil pressure take up the slack. Check for impeller and compressor blade erosion/damage and signs of oil seepage from the exhaust turbine seals.

yeti
11-07-2004, 07:28
britannic, I got a chance to see it last night and the turbine seems to turn real hard, it will not spin free. is that a good thing?

grape
11-07-2004, 08:00
needs bearings. What are the numbers on the exhaust housing and what is the diameter of the exhaust wheel at the exducer? If the exhaust outlet is a little over 2.5" it's probably a p-trim t04 exhaust wheel. Need demensions on the inlet wheel as well.

britannic
11-07-2004, 08:12
As grape says, it needs bearings. You can buy a new core or look for a better example.

Originally posted by yeti:
britannic, I got a chance to see it last night and the turbine seems to turn real hard, it will not spin free. is that a good thing?

grape
11-07-2004, 08:34
It only costs about $90 to have a turbo shop go through one and put bearings in, as long as the exhaust wheel and shaft aren't screwed up. If the other specs are decent and the price is right it shouldn't be overlooked automatically.