PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt cig lighter/charger broke?

shamanie
03-09-2005, 08:01
The 12 volt charger(took the cig lighter out, you know what I mean) in my truck has quit functioning.

I tried to get back there to see if a wire had come loose but could not see/feel anything out of place. Anyone have experience with this problem?

BobND
03-09-2005, 09:20
Did you check the fuse for the lighter?

shamanie
03-09-2005, 13:57
Originally posted by BobND:
Did you check the fuse for the lighter? hahahahaha what a boob I am.

(runs out to check the fuse)

Well, which one is it? I can't see any label that says the 12volt cig lighter or whatever it would say. There is a large circular fuse that says flash 12 volt something something....could that be it?

[ 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: shamanie ]

shamanie
03-10-2005, 11:13
Sorry to pester. Really need an answer as I am going out of town.....long road trip...and would hate to be without the 12 volt charger.

Thanks for the help!

DmaxMaverick
03-10-2005, 11:45
Originally posted by shamanie:
Sorry to pester. Really need an answer as I am going out of town.....long road trip...and would hate to be without the 12 volt charger.

Thanks for the help! Not certain about the '83, but the cig lighter usually doesn't have its own fuse, but is shared with other circuits. Does everything else work? It may be paired with the "ctsy lts", heater A/C, blower, dome, inst. lts, horn, clock, etc. If it's not plain as day, check them all.

That thing you found that says 12V flash something or other is probably your signal/hazard flasher. If it's about 1" dia. and about 1 to 2" tall, it is. Usually bare aluminum, some are plastic covered, some are square and a little smaller. It will have either 2 or 3 prongs that plug into the fuse block.

BobND
03-10-2005, 12:00
HORN/DM, 20 amp fuse, if it's the same as my '85 Sub, it's the third fuse from the bottom in the LH column of fuses.

Protects cargo and dome lamps, clock, cigarette lighter and horn relay.

Brianlar
03-10-2005, 22:05
On mine it's near the top left of the fuse box, and it covers the dome courtesy lights as well.