PDA

View Full Version : Chevies pellets for block/head seal ????

crash9
03-16-2005, 08:22
I

catmandoo
03-16-2005, 15:29
years ago the old 4.1 caddy's had some pills you were supposed to give them once a year,or so.so i don't think they would bother the waterpump etc.as far as i'm concerned i think they were mostly comprised of ground ginger(spice)as thats all we used to use in our shop to cure small (pia) leaks.

john8662
03-16-2005, 20:11
I think this is a waste of time personally that will potentially plug up some tubes in the radiator and the heater core. But at one tab, you will likely not do that much harm. I think it will be best to get to the source of the problem before summer comes along, as you'll surely be pushing it to the limits during the heat.

So when you say that you're getting bubbles, do you mean while the radiator cap is open or at the radiator recovery tank when the engine is running? The classic sign of pressure in the cooling system is gurgling at the recovery tank, or bubbles being passed when the engine is running, or shortly after shutdown.

Other places to check for leaks:

Radiator
Heater core
Head block off plates (at the rear of the heads, both sides)
Water crossover to head mounting
Waterpump itself, check the weephole
Waterpump mouning plate to timing cover (big source for leaks)
Thermostat outlet itself (I've fought this on my rigs too much)
Block heater (recently found a leak here too)
Freeze plugs

CleviteKid
03-26-2005, 10:55
The OEM pellets, and everything you can buy at the auto parts store, is intended to seal coolant leaks that see no more than cooling system pressure - maybe 15 psi at most.

If your heads are not cracked, then you may have a blown head gasket or two. The "miracle-in-a-can" stuff cannot stand up to over 1000 psi of peak combustion pressure.

Like the prior comment said, get to the source and fix the real problem.

Dr. Lee :cool: