PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug controller needed?

monroe_s
01-06-2004, 05:10
I accidentally threw away my plug controller while pulling my engine. The truck was already set up with a switch to activate the glow plugs, do i need to find another controller or can i simply block off the hole in the head and continue to use my manual switch? The truck still has the relay on the fenderwell..

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to working on diesels (probally why i threw away the controller)

Thank you.

cubby
01-06-2004, 15:46
Leave your controler in the trash. Go manual.

dieselcrawler
01-06-2004, 20:25
I'd have to agree with full manual, IF....

...you don't mind having to do some of the 'thinking' for your truck, as in, you understand how/why the glow plugs work, and are 'on' when needed.

...you are the only one who drives/starts your truck, or, make sure that anyone who does drive/start your truck knows the proper way to use the glow plugs.

I went with a full manual glow plug system on my truck... it's a beater that only I drive. I have a push button on the dash that kicks in an old (remote mounted Jeep/Ford type) starter solinode mounded where the stock one mounted on the firewall near the brake master cyl. From there it uses the stock wiring to the glow plugs. I have the momentary contact pushbutton in one of the radio knob holes, and as I don't have a radio in the first place, I used the 'key-switched' hot terminal on the fuse block for the radio to power it, so the 'plugs won't work unless the key is on. You can mount yours any place you feel like drilling a hole.
Hope this helps ya... good luck.

monroe_s
01-07-2004, 05:26
thank you guys this is just what i was wanting to hear!

arveetek
01-07-2004, 13:36
If you ever decide to go back to automatic glow plug function, then you'll want to have thrown away your original controller anyway! Just block off that coolant passage and, if you decide to, go with the '85+ controller. The '82-84 controllers never did work very well, and are expensive to replace.

Casey