PDA

View Full Version : HO water pump- noticeably cooler?

Tony J.
07-06-2004, 14:55
I'm from AZ (a.k.a. HELL), and getting ready to order the big water pump from Kennedy for my '95 K3500. Have any of you guys that have done this mod really seen cooler engine temps? Will it help tranny temps any also? I pulled my trailer to MT in early May, and had a fairly hot engine/trans on the way to Flagstaff (uphill, 90 deg ambient temp, 7k lb trailer). Since the temps outside cooled off as the trip progressed, that was by far the worst incident I had. I'm heading back down to AZ Aug 1, and it will be HOT (105 or more) when I get back, so I'm really wanting to do this mod before I go back down with my trailer. I should also mention that I've got the Hayden SD clutch and I flushed the radiator before I left in April.

Any input?
Thanks.

Kennedy
07-06-2004, 16:32
The fan clutch and water pump work in concert to keep temps in check. The thing to remember is that the Hayden SD clutch is the OE clucth in a different box. There is no difference in calibration which is part of the reason why you ran hot.

MTTwister
07-06-2004, 16:50
TomyJ - whereabouts in MT are you hiding out?

My impression - the fan needs to cut in before the temps get to high. The HO water pump and dual thermo stat increase the flow within the block, more heat transfer to the water ( there is a limiting factor on water flow in the block, which is why you odn't want to run without a thermostat. But the Fan Clutch kicking in at a lower temp is what's gonna help cool the total package. Some say the getting the fan to kick in sooner is much more beneficial than icreasing the overall water flow.

markrinker
07-06-2004, 17:41
This post is sure to get me in trouble, but here goes...

In extreme conditions (mountains in Arizona with a load), I would not only apply the extra cooling mods, but remove the thermostat altogether to increase flow.

With daytime temps into the 100's and overnight lows in the 80s, you have no need for the restriction that even the best thermostat creates.

Just remember to replace it before fall/winter sets in.

Phil Holmen
07-06-2004, 18:32
I just finished a weekend pull of my 25ft 5th wheel after installing the new high-output waterpump and dual thermostats. Temps are not any cooler than when running empty but stay cooler when pulling. I pulled my trailer at 125kph for nearly 400km and rarely had to back out of the throttle. My mods are listed below, no intercooler yet, but should finish it up before this weekend for another 500km excursion.

dieseldummy
07-06-2004, 21:28
I recently overhauled my engine so while it was out I added the HO waterpump, but not the dual thermostats because I didn't want to mess with the throtle bracket. I also modified my fan clutch to engage at a lower temperature. I just got home from pulling a 29ft gooseneck trailer in and out of a field hauling oats. Ususally this type of work where airflow is minimal and the thermal load is high would normally get my engine up to 210-220. Tonight with the combination of the HO pump and fan clutch mod it never got over 190. The fan would come on at 185-190 and go off at 180 or so. So to answer the question at hand, yes the HO pump will help, but only in combination with a lower fan clutch engagment temp.
Justin

Marty Lau
07-07-2004, 07:21
Yeah Tony were are you hiding??? I understand Ted Kazinski's land is for sale between Lincoln & Helena. Are you going to make it to the Rendezvous????? smile.gif

MTTwister
07-07-2004, 09:05
Hey 16 - I thought TED just squatted on the land, never actually owned anything, 'cept maybe his bicycle ( tho' he probably 'borrowed" that too. )

Tossing around the idea of making it over on SAT, but things are 'fluid' around the homestead, if you know what I mean.

edit - Mark - Sometimes pulling the Thermostats allows the water to flow too quickly, ie not enought time around the cylinder bores to absorb heat on the way by. ( So, does that count as 'trouble? tongue.gif )

markrinker
07-07-2004, 16:14
I knew there would be a good rebuttle for that one.

However, having taken physics class AND lived in the state of Missouri - you'd have to SHOW me how good coolant in a properly pressurized system could move past a heated surface too quickly to absorb heat. (I'd only believe you if I had also suggested to remove the radiator cap, allowing the water to 'churn' with air, under little or no pressurization.)

I have been running my #1 truck 'sans thermostat' this summer and have observed 15-20 degree cooler operating temps on average over the stock OEM thermostat in place. Power difference is noticable as well on hot days while pulling.

My suggestion was only that - a suggestion. It's also an interesting 5 minute experiment - try it and you'll see what the biggest restriction in your early 6.5 cooling system is!

MTTwister
07-07-2004, 16:57
Mark - hmmm- well, uhhh, maybe a HO pump pushes too much water? smile.gif Uhhh, ummmm, hmmph. smile.gif Ok then , are you sure about the 5 min time allotment? Take me that long to climb up there to find out I don't have the right socket.

Real Life over Theory once again!

JohnC
07-08-2004, 06:58
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
... you'd have to SHOW me how good coolant in a properly pressurized system could move past a heated surface too quickly to absorb heat. Old wife's tale!

The temperature reading is going to stabilize at a point that allows it to dissipate all the heat in the radiator that it absorbes in the engine. If you slow the flow down, there will be a bigger temperature difference between the water returning to the engine and the water entering the radiator. Since the temp. is measured as the water exits the engine, the reading will be higher.

Since the goal is even temps, greater flow works toward this end.

Look at it this way: you can flush your toilet once a day, or after each use. The end result is the same, but the bathroom smells a lot nicer if you flush it more often...

(Outhouse users ignore the last paragraph) ;)

Tony J.
07-08-2004, 07:35
Wow- thanks for all the replies folks! I ordered the pump and a set of glow plugs. Gonna have to wait on doing the Kennedy clutch and 20" steel fan for a bit. I'm in Kalispell working for the summer- where/when is this rendezvous you guys are talking about?

Marty Lau
07-08-2004, 08:04
Originally posted by Tony J.:
Wow- thanks for all the replies folks! I ordered the pump and a set of glow plugs. Gonna have to wait on doing the Kennedy clutch and 20" steel fan for a bit. I'm in Kalispell working for the summer- where/when is this rendezvous you guys are talking about? TDP Rendezvous info here >
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000007

There is two articles about last years events:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/rendez/ren03camp.htm
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff03.htm
This will give you an idea of whats on tap.

[ 07-08-2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]