PDA

View Full Version : 80s 6.2 suggestions (long)

Camarrow
01-07-2004, 05:58
I just traded in my 2000 ext cab 4X4 (4.8) in on a 2004 Avalanche z-71 for wife. I now am stuck in her old 95 S blazer till I find the truck I want. I know I want a 82-87 chevy 4X4. I prefer the body and the stright front axle. I am leaning toward the diesel mostly because of the fuel mileage (I drive at least 60 miles a day). I have to admit I have a fear of the 6.2, mostly because of what I have heard about them. I have never owned a diesel truck, but I am a farmboy so I have been around diesels all my life. Of the years listed, what are the ins and outs of the 6.2s (cracks, problems, improvements)? I do some pulling on the farm but most is 7000 or less. What mileage can I expect from a 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton? What should I look for to prevent getting myself into problems? Should I look for one with low miles or will 150,000+ be OK. I know I have lots of questions but I want to know what I am getting myself into and what to look for.

5.7L oldsdiesel
01-07-2004, 13:44
Well GM has had problems with every diesel they've put out.First the oldsmobile diesel,and then onto the 6.2/6.5,so all these engines have had some problems.That is no lie.But when buying a 6.2,be absolutely sure the harmonic balancer is in good shape.If its not,you will be headed for a broken crankshaft.If you can do so,pull off the oil pan and have a look at the main bearing cap locations.On some of the early to late 80's 6.2 engines,cracks would migrate from the main bearing caps and proceed in a upward direction.If you pull the oil pan,and if you look hard enough,you can find the cracks,if they are present.Some would crack,some would not....but in 1983 so i'm told these blocks had a high nickel content which prevented cracking.It may be true,but i'm not 100% sure of that.As long as the balancer is fine,you should be okay.Early 80's engines would leak coolant externally from the cylinder head on both banks.But if you lean towards the late 80's,you should not experience that problem.We've all heard of the broken crankshaft scenario,but it all ties into the balancer.There are aftermarket kits you can buy which can make the bottom end rock solid.But if its driven with sense,it should last for a long time.
Injection pumps also cause troubles too,but that is usually linked when the rotor and hydraulic head wear within the injection pump.This will cause you the hot start problem.Aside from that,thats about all i can say.....they are fuel efficent and will last many miles,if maintained properly.If you buy the 6.2,be sure to let it idle for at least 1 minute after working it hard.This will prevent cylinder head cracking.....and block distortion....

NH2112
01-07-2004, 15:43
Well I've owned 2 6.2L trucks so far. One was an 85 K10 that went almost 300K (110K mine, in 4 years) before I stripped the truck to a bare frame and disassembled the engine just to see what it looked like inside. There were cracks in all the main webs, but honestly I think I could have gotten another 100K or better out of it without any problems. The rest of the engine was great, the bearings were nicely burnished and there's barely enough ridge to catch your fingernail. Right now I'm driving an 85 C1500 w/swapped in 6.2L, year unknown. It has about 240K, averages about 20mpg, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and starts easily in below-zero weather with only 1 battery and glow plugs that need to be replaced (I have the block heater on a timer that turns it on 2 hours before I leave for work.) I have a couple friends who drive 6.2L trucks as well, and they don't have any problems with them. My advice? Check for leaks, look at maintenance records if possible, and pay attention to how it smokes, sounds, and drives, and if nothing seems amiss buy it. Change the oil every 2500 miles, plug it in when temps drop below 30F, let it warm up for a few minutes in extreme cold, don't abuse it, and you won't have any problems. My experience is that these engines really like to work, so don't be afraid of hooking that 7000lb trailer up.

ueckebes
01-07-2004, 18:04
just some 6.2 advise with a lot of miles to back it. Being a farm boy myself and a construction company owner i have had lots of exp with full size pickups,all brands,and most of them diesel.To date between my dad and i we have owned six 6.2 equipped trucks,still got four of them.probs have been few,water pumps,glow plugs,two head gaskets,1 broke crank.the truck with the broke crank had 357000 miles on it and it still ran fine till then,in fact it still ran with the broke crank. the balancer was the culprit as the crank broke on the front of the engine.any way being a farm hand my advise is try and get a 3/4 ton, 4spd man, 3.73 gears.this has been a good combo for me,autos seem to be weaker performers with heavier loads,and 4.10 gears are a little to low for a lot of highway driveing unless its overdrive eguipped.gm didnt offer overdrives in 82 to 87 3/4 ton diesels except for a 3spd man o/d [a rare bird] and was not a good performer. if you dont do a lot of 7000+ hauling then a 1/2 ton will do you just fine. hope this helps good luck jim

catmandoo
01-07-2004, 18:22
iv'e got an 82 3/4 sub with banks,83 sub n/a and 84 c-10 thats back to n/a now and have put over 450,000 miles on them in the last 10 years and have not touched one balancer or pump or head gaskets.did glows in 83 sub when i got it ,and also a starter.82 sub took out front and rear main seals which i atribute to the banks,and the 84 did a set of injectors one time but turns out the problem was with a certain truck stops fuel and not the injectors,i love em the things to look for is leaking oil cooler lines, mine on the 84 have seeped for years and just never got any worse and the 82-83 have the dual fuel filters or filter ,seperator,and the one under the aircleaner behind the pump is a pain to get to the 84 ups is mounted on the firewall and a breeze to change,if you do buy one change these fule filter at least once a year and you shouldn't have any fuel problems,also with winter make sure you use a conditioner or blended fuel below 30 degrees.my subs both ran about 18 to 20 mpg and the c-10 ran a best of 26 and currently still will occasionally get 24 but in winter i'm lucky to get 21-22,i love em and i don't beat the living hell out of em,i'm on the road all day and thats the last thing i want to do is walk.

Camarrow
01-08-2004, 05:13
Well I talked to my uncle last night. He has owned two previous diesels (Ford 6.9 and a new cummings). I mostly asked him about a truck my grandfather had that I can remember but the details escaped me. The truck was a 83-84-85 6.2 1/2 ton 4X4 with a 4 speed, that much I can remember. I asked him if he liked it and he said it was a great truck but a little high geared. I don't remember him having any problems and my grandpa wasn't easy on things (he used to tell me "I take of the tailgate as soon as I get it so I don't wreck it" The only details my Father can remember is it had some funky 4 speed and "woundn't pull a old lady off a stool". My dad says that about everything. Well to finish my long story on the intersate (65 at the time) it got 26mpg. The 4 speed leads me to belive it had the 4 speed OD. There is a local guy with a late 80s 4x4 that already has a banks I will be looking at. Thanks guys

catmandoo
01-08-2004, 17:08
when i put the banks on my 84 c-10 i lost about 2 miles to the gallon but gain hundreds of smiles to the gallon