PDA

View Full Version : cold start help

Suburbanator
01-07-2004, 22:46
Hey guys,
We had a bad cold snap up here in the great northwest,(i.e. 0 degrees and a wind chill of -17 degrees :eek: )and my starter wont turn enough rpm to start properly, Rpms sound about in the 60-70 range and if i keep it cranking it will speed up and eventually start but barely.It works fine when i plug it in at night, but I cant do this at work. I know i need a min of 100 rpm to get a good crank, I've got 2 new bateries and this only happend when it got REALLY cold, Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Thanks,
Troy

britannic
01-08-2004, 07:00
Assuming you're running 15-40W oil and the batteries have sufficient correct cold cranking amps, check the battery wires and connections for voltage drop at the battery and the starter. Check the engine grounds for voltage drop and tightness. If nothing shows up, pull the starter and either get it tested or if you're up for it, remove and flip the solenoid contact disk over to the unworn side. Check the starter commutator brushes at the same time.

When reinstalling the starter be sure to use new bolts - they're cheap and will save future problems.

If you need a new starter, get a 6.5L gear reduction one instead and a matching front bracket - you'll love the faster cranking speed and lower current draw.

Suburbanator
01-08-2004, 17:14
Brit, Thanks for the rapid reply,Almost positive that its not the batteries(they are new).When the weather warms up ( dont feel like laying in the snow) I'll pull the starter and have it tested,as far as the bolts go, do they stretch when torqued? Are they standard grade 8 bolts or a special type? I am still curious why this only happens when it's very cold out but not when temps are above freezing.

Thanks again,
Troy

britannic
01-08-2004, 17:44
What are the new batteries' cold cranking specifications?

TonyL
01-09-2004, 05:54
The starter bolts are special. Any good auto parts store or auto electric shop should have them. I also used BLUE locktite on mine after I replaced the one broke off in the block.

arveetek
01-09-2004, 06:02
When the engine is really cold, the oil is really thick and it makes it hard to turn over. The batteries, cables, and starter may just be good enough to spin the motor at moderate temps, but not up to the job at freezing temps.

Switching to a good quality synthetic oil during the winter months can really help aid the cold start problems. Myself, I just plug in the truck when it gets cold, but then, I don't have a real job to go! ;)

Casey