PDA

View Full Version : turbo'ing 6.2 NA van

Edmundo
01-08-2004, 11:39
I am interested in turbo'ing my trusty 89 GMC G2500 Rally STX van that still has the original 6.2 NA motor.

By total fluke, I found someone with a newer turbo 6.5 van motor, that is parting out all the turbo stuff :D . He just wants the block & that's it.

Anyways, what is a fair price to expect to pay for all the turbo stuff? I will need everything but the long block.

Regards, Edmundo

john8662
01-08-2004, 12:59
Interesting conversion, you'll be one of the first to put the 6.5 van-hummer turbo system in a G-van. You'll need all of the parts including the heads. As you have already found out the intake, heads, exaust, turbo, are all different from the 6.5 from a truck, burb, or tahoe. A fair price would be as cheap as you can get them. Heads are expensive if purchased seperatly. I would think 500 would be more than fair for the whole setup (heads and all).

Peter J. Bierman
01-08-2004, 14:06
I had a look at the 6.5 van engine and noticed that with the centermounted turbo, there are both oil supply and drain for the turbo at the back off the valley drilled into the oilgallery and the camshaft chamber.
Both this connections you don't have on your 6.2.
Either you have to drill these or be creative and find another solution.

Good luck, Peter

Edmundo
01-08-2004, 14:11
Darn, I was hoping on this being a simple conversion :confused:
John @ Kennedy Diesel warned me that I will need to get oil to & from the turbo & my 6.2 NA van block is not doing that right now.
I planned on using my existing 6.2 NA van block & 6.2 NA van heads & adding the complete 6.5 van turbo system to it.
If sticking with my 6.2 NA block means replacing my standard cartridge oil filter & changing it to an inline remote filtration setup in order to provide oil to/from the turbo, I can handle that.
I was hoping to save some time by not replacing my 6.2 NA van heads, but if I have to replace them with 6.5 turbo van heads, so be it...
Good thing that the 6.5 turbo van heads are still available with the rest of the center-mounted turbo stuff, so I will buy the heads too.

Regards, Edmundo

Edmundo
01-08-2004, 15:54
Just heard back from Matt at Peninsular & he says that a 6.5 turbo van block is drilled for a rear mounted turbo and that my "N" (I believe he means "NA") van block is not. Matt doesn't believe that I can bolt the van turbo in place on the rear of my 6.2 NA van block. But he does think that a good diesel shop might be able to do it, if I find someone that is very careful. The bosses would have to be made to be flush, & perhaps even spacers would do it.

I will have to look into this. Simple turbo conversion? It keeps getting more involved.

Regards, Edmundo

john8662
01-09-2004, 11:44
Yeah, more mods, thats what I kept thinking about when looking at a system like that. If I find one cheap (heads turbo, etc) off an engine someone only wanted the short block for, then I'd get one too. I just want one for when I buy a Hummer (yeah.. right!!!) that had a NA 6.2 or 6.5 in it, as they use the center mounted stuff just like the vans.

For oil pressure there is a plug in the block above the oil filter (1/4" NPT plug) that you can tap oil pressure from. Thats what Banks uses for its aftermarket turbo kits. For an oil return, that might be tricky as its in a strange place, but you could plumb something in and make a hole in the oil pan for the drain. My thoughts anyways, buts its been awhile since I have looked at one of the setups.

Peter J. Bierman
01-09-2004, 14:08
You didn't tell what transmission you have but if you do not have the vacuum pump in the rear off the valley, you could use the hole for it as the oil drain.
You might replace the pump with a belt driven one if it's in the way.
But you still have to fabricate an adaptor to connect the oil lines to the turbo.
If you realy want this conversion, it can be done but it is a lot off work and allways cost more then you think.
Keep us posted,

Peter

john8662
01-09-2004, 19:08
Oh yeah, great point! The vacuum pump will have to be removed as part of the coversion. Although, you will have to replace it with a gear stub like the ones found in the 6.5. You cannot run one of these engines without the driven gear attached to the vacuum pump or the stub, as it drives the oil pump (so i am told).

So if your van has the TH400 you'll need a vacuum source. If you have the TH700R4, the only thing you will need vacuum for isn't the transmission, but the accesories in the cab (climate control).

gavio
01-10-2004, 09:05
I'm thinking I'd heard of some vehicles using an electric vacuum pump (Fords, it might have been) that could be used to avoid redoing the belt setup (not to mention even further crowding up the already packed front area of a van).

Has anyone else heard of this?

Edmundo
01-13-2004, 12:22
Will have to check with Banks & see what they recommend for supplying oil to/from the turbo. Since Banks used to offer conversion kits for NA vans & motorhomes years ago, maybe they still have some 'skunkworks for vans' oil system parts kicking around hahaha. Yeah, my van has the TH700R4. Will have to give some thought to the 'where will the vacuum pump go' situation. Thanks for reminding me about the vacuum pump! Up to now, somehow I completely overlooked it when thinking about fitting the center mounted turbo.

Regards, Edmundo

Peter J. Bierman
01-13-2004, 12:49
And that's why we're here ;)

keep us posted,

Peter

Larry Andrews
01-13-2004, 21:13
I can't wait to hear how this turns out. (wheels turning loudly) Would be great to get some more power in the 6.2 in my G20. About 125hp just ain't getting me up the Grapevine very well. smile.gif

Fumes
01-15-2004, 22:28
I have the Banks system on my 6,2 Van. The oil is fed by the plugs by the oil filter and returned to a special plate by the fuel pump, a Banks special part.

I had to get rid of the belt drivin vacuum pump and install a electric one off a newer Ford diesel, it is sometimes a bit slow on the heater controls but works good on the cruise.

I have never seen the setup for the 6.5s in a van but I would think if you overcome the oil part it should work, you may need some additional parts from the doner vehicle. It would be nice if the vehicle would still be there is you miss anything.

Fumes

Larry Andrews
01-19-2004, 23:25
Out of curiosity, does anybody have any P/Ns for the Banks Turbo kit for 6.2 in a van?

john8662
01-20-2004, 08:04
Part numbers, I had been told by Banks that they had discontinued the turbo for the van.

Larry Andrews
01-20-2004, 22:52
Yeah, I realize the kit is long gone. I was asking about P/Ns for search/verification purposes. Not that I'd have any reason to doubt that what someone was selling on Ebay would fit properly or anything. smile.gif

-la

EWC
01-22-2004, 16:45
I saw that van turbo on Ebay as well . Looks like most of the parts are there but you would need the van turbo heads as the intake manifold bolts attach at a different angle than the other heads .

Fumes
01-28-2004, 20:48
Will look around, and see if I can find anything.