PDA

View Full Version : Larger Replacement Transmission Cooler

TurboDiverArt
07-07-2004, 02:08
Hi all,

I've been thinking of installing an auxiliary transmission cooler. In looking, does anyone make a replacement stacked plate cooler that is larger? I would think a better option may be to replace the stock cooler with a larger one. I think there is probably the possibility of fitting a cooler that is about 50% larger than the stock cooler, that is, if one is available. I wouldn't mind cutting the stock lines to put in an extension if the lines don't perfectly line up.

If not, then I'll have to install an aux cooler.

Thanks,
Art.

Kennedy
07-07-2004, 05:24
My '96 had "HD aux trans cooler" or similar on the option sheet. This was basically a fairly sizeable tube/fin cooler behind the radiator. Trans temps seldom crossed 200

AndyL
07-07-2004, 05:39
B&M Makes a fairly large stacked plate cooler with 1/2 NPT ports. I am currently using one on my 80 Olds Drag car as an oil cooler, plenty of flow. It is rating at 28K GVW as a tranny cooler.

TurboDiverArt
07-08-2004, 02:44
Originally posted by AndyL:
B&M Makes a fairly large stacked plate cooler with 1/2 NPT ports. I am currently using one on my 80 Olds Drag car as an oil cooler, plenty of flow. It is rating at 28K GVW as a tranny cooler. Do you know if the stock cooler uses 1/2 inch NPT? Wondering if it's a drop in replacement.

Thanks,
Art.

TurboDiverArt
07-08-2004, 02:47
[quote]Originally posted by kennedy:
[b] My '96 had "HD aux trans cooler" or similar on the option sheet. This was basically a fairly sizeable tube/fin cooler behind the radiator. Trans temps seldom crossed 200

AndyL
07-08-2004, 03:07
Sorry, I am not sure which connection the stock cooler has.

damork
07-09-2004, 09:06
TurboDiverArt,

Try this link:

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MDITP&Category_Code=TCCE

I have the H7B on mine.

The nice thing about Tru-Cool (Long Mfg) coolers is that they are make the coolers for GM and are the same kind as what comes on our trucks. I'm quite sure if you look close at a B&M and one of these they would look like twins.

I picked this one as I wanted the threaded ports and put my own barbs on it. The bolt pattern even matches the OEM cooler holes. I've run mine for 2 years now with no problems - keeps the tranny pan temps under 175F. They have several other coolers with more capacity than this as well.