PDA

View Full Version : Was: Normal EGTs for turbo'd 6.2L

crew84
01-11-2004, 11:30
I found the problem with my EGTs. The reason for heavy smoking and missing when starting up cold and the puff of white smoke when warm. The truck would run alright but sometimes I would get a boost in power and smoothness. I bought a set of glow plugs from Ebay so I could match what was in my truck with the same ones. I installed them. After I started the truck I went around loosening the nut on the fuel line at each injector. Each one changed the running of the engine. The engine ran smooth after. I had two of the lines showing fuel after I tightened them. I had to really add a lot of torque to stop the leaks. I decided to tighten all of them that tight. That took a while and a lot of elbow grease. I worried that I would strip one. I started the truck and drove it. Wow! it ran smooth and great! The EGTs slowly would increase during WOT but just below the Max. It pulled the grades better in OD. I now know why it did not pull the trailers that I hauled with any power. It now was running on all cylinders. I can now feel the turbo boost. I took a 45 minute drive to my parents and stayed about 5 hours. I started it up and it was great. :D

All this time it was air leaking back into the high pressure lines. I had bought a 3/8" drive crowsfoot 3/4"wrench to tighten these lines years ago. I always used a 1/2" breaker bar with a 3/8 to 1/2" adapter on that wrench before. I just can not believe that I had to tighten the $#@@& out of them to seal them! So guys that is another place for someone with problems to suspect.
BTW the factory torque specs are 20 ft pounds on them.

[ 01-11-2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: crew84 ]

arveetek
01-12-2004, 06:25
Had you noticed any fuel leaks at all?

I'm sure glad to hear you've got it running great finally! You've been fighting this thing for a long time, over a year or more, hasn't it?

Casey

crew84
01-12-2004, 09:48
I did not have any visible fuel leaks. I have loosened the lines many times before to test for missing. I also know that I have tightened them more than factory specs called for to stop fuel leaks. The amount I tightened them this time was unreal. I have been unhappy with the running of my truck for a long time. I have searched for air leaks for a long time and have not found anything. I bought a diesel compression tester and after testing my engine knew I had great compression. I had visualized a bent/flexing push rod causing the problem. I have been running with an engine missing causing an unbalanced engine at high speed. Now it is so smooth and I feel the throttle power. Now I can play with the timing and see if I can even fine tune it more. I know that if I can get the EGT's down lower with timing change I will be able to get more power by turning up the IP. ;)