PDA

View Full Version : suspension

mhagie
03-26-2005, 18:11
I have a 4x4 1/2 ton, frame and suspension is from a 75 with 3 leaf fronts and 6 leaf rear springs.
It now has a 6.5 TD in place of the old 350.
My problem is that it rides terrible, the front and rear springs are new but it still rides BAD.
Its ok on blacktop but on cement paving every joint in the paving bounces you around.
My wife wants nothing to do with the truck saying it rides to rough. :mad:
Anyone out there have anyone out there have any ideas.
Could one go down to only the main leaf on front and try a air bag? Good or bad idea?
the same on rear?
Any and all ideas are appreciated, I will probably have this truck till I die so no ideas are out of the question.
Thanks, Merle

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2005, 19:11
There are many more variables to ride quality than just springs. Starting with a '75 rigid frame won't help. Being a '75, there are things involving its age that contribute. The springs will be more rigid, shackle/hanger bushings and body insulators are probably rock hard, SFA doesn't help. You could convert to IFS, but that may be too costly.

I wouldn't suggest removing leafs. Replace them with new springs, or springs from a later model.

Bilstein, or other high quality gas shock. The gas charged shocks are a must on the washboard. Non gas shocks fade too fast.

Wheels/tires. OEM was 15" wheels, so if you've upgraded them to 16, or more, you've taken air cushion away. Best ride will be smaller wheels with the same tire height, properly inflated according to load, not sidewall maximum recommendations. More rubber and less steel reduces rotational mass and unsprung weight, which lessens the effects of the washboard. Switching from steel wheels to aluminum helps.

Body insulator kit. Replace the rubber doughnuts that insulate the cab from the frame. Stay away from the "high performance" poly's, they make it worse.

Seats. If yours are original, new ones will go a long way. If the fabric is in good shape, you can have them "re-stuffed".

The list goes on. Just about anything between your backside and the pavement will effect the ride in one way or another.

Air springs won't really help much with an unloaded truck, and may make it worse. You could install air ride, and ditch the springs altogether, but that may exceed cost effectiveness.

It all depends on where your priorities are. How attached are you to your wife? Truck? Sounds like you made the same commitment to both.

Dezman125
03-26-2005, 19:11
Hi
If you are going to keep it till you die,go all out and get an air ride system.I doubt that anyone makes one for our old style truck,but if you had the ability to build your truck you should be able to adapt some of the one's out there. :cool:

mhagie
03-26-2005, 19:28
Springs/bushings,cab mounts,everthing has been replaced tires 31x10.50x15.
Wouldn't mind finding a 88 up t/case and IFS I bet I could make it work but would be a major task.
Checked post on 6.5 forum about air ride rear suspension found a couple companies that offer air bag over spring for front and rear, looks good but?
Keep it coming............Merle

Dezman125
03-27-2005, 08:01
Hi Merle
The one i was thinking about gets rid of the springs altogether.
After i get my turbo intercooler project done,then hitches,winch's,boby work,paint,ect....

Then i want to go with a total air ride system,i'm hoping that by then someone will be making one to copy or buy depending on $$$$.

What i like besides the obvious ride quality is the ride hieght differances,the one i saw on "Trucks" offered a total of 15" lift,then after your done 4 wheelen,drop it down for some pavement cruzing
I would never buy a big rig without air ride,unless it was cheap ;) Ride quality dos'nt compare,air ride is always smooth,loaded or empty.
It is nice for hooking up trailers or un hooking,the air does all your lifting or lowering.
i'll be keeping my truck till i die too,so i'll want a comfy ride when my bones get old and brittle :rolleyes:

chuck-b
03-27-2005, 19:38
I saw on one of the truck shows last weekend a swing arm suspension with air bags for springs. It's primary use was adjustable lift but it also inproved the ride.

dieselcrawler
03-27-2005, 23:45
I have noticed a big improvment in ride going with "softride" springs from super lift. But, I also wanted my truck lifted, I don't know if they make a stock hight spring in the softride, or if maybe they make a 2", which wouldn't be too much for a mostly stock truck, then go with 33" tires on the 15" rims, it would be an easy way to gain some ride improvment. I guess it's all about how much time and money you wanna put into it, and how soft you wanna ride... Leaf spring and tire swap is cheap and easy, with reasonable gains. Good luck...

Greg

mhagie
03-28-2005, 05:03
Greg, Thanks for the info I will call super lift and see whats available.
I don't ever expect it to ride like a 4x2 but I don't care for the harsh ride it has now.
I wonder how super lift springs in front and air bags in rear would work?
I have shocks on it now from Dick Cepek maybe they are to stiff and I should try Bilsteins gas shocks?
Keep the ideas coming guys I appreciate it.
thanks, Merle

84 Convert
03-28-2005, 19:14
If you don't mind spending$$$$ try a custom sping company like National. They can make a custom set based on your truck's usual weight what height you want etc. Fourwheeler did this with a '93 or older Cummins Dodge and said it made a huge difference. I think they ended up with something like 13 leaves in the front, but they were much thinner than the stock ones. This route may be quite a bit cheaper and easier than air ride but not as "cool".

Gregg

waorth
03-29-2005, 08:27
You might give Tuff Country (http://www.tuffcountry.com/) a try. Their EZ-ride suspension is pretty flexible.

Also BDS Suspension (http://www.bds-suspension.com/) does very well.

Keep in mind however, that with a heavy 6.2 in the front, softer springs will not last too long.

Regards.
Walter

crew84
03-29-2005, 09:57
There is still a lot of information we do not know about your setup. Are your front springs riding with a negative or positive arc? Or maybe just straight? In my case my truck had a slightly negative arc for years and would bottom out with a medium bump. I had my springs reforged with an extra leaf added. Mind you that not re-arched but pounded into shape. This caused two leaves to break while the spring outfit did it. They warned me that it could happen and charged for replacements. I have a positive arc now and a softer ride. The truck bounces more on hard bumps but not a jarring type. Also the Rancho RS9000 shocks can handle most of wash board roads. There is only one fast lane for about a half a mile on a freeway that I do not like driving at 70 mph on with it. Funny but the lane right next to it is smooth.

C.K. Piquup
03-29-2005, 16:03
I have Tuff Country EZ-Rides(4")& Rancho RS9000 shocks on my`91 3/4t diesel Suburban(factory quad-shock set-up).The RS9000s have adjustment knobs.On softest setting it rides smooth.

mhagie
03-29-2005, 17:12
OK Here it is.
Front springs new 3 leaf 3" wide OEM replacements from a local spring co.
Rear Springs 6 leaf OEM replacements from same place.
Front springs sit close to flat with only 1/4 rise from axle to front spring bolt.
Have seen a bunch of trucks with front spring droop but not this one.
I have heard that positive arched springs will ride better but?
Keep it coming guys I'm all ears
Merle

dieseldummy
03-29-2005, 18:24
You could always ad the quad shock option for the off road kit. Don't know if it would help or not, but it's an idea.

84 Convert
03-29-2005, 21:15
If you have room for a larger tire, that does help as long as the wheel size is not increased. On one truck I had, I went from 31" to 33" height and it made a huge difference in what got transmitted from road to cab. Possibly the shocks are too firm? An adjustable set might help. Same if they are too soft and bottom too easily.
The GMC I have has poly bushings for both cab and springs and the ride is good in the front (has a little more positive arch than yours), but the rear is a different story with 9-leaf springs! I'm using ProComp ES3000 shocks, they seem to have decent control.

Gregg

G. Gearloose
03-30-2005, 06:29
I concur the adjustability of the RS9000 are a big advantage.

I found the pro comps had too much compression damping and not enough rebound, opposite of std, and induced weird handling.