PDA

View Full Version : 95 code retrieval

Tony J.
10-25-2004, 06:22
Someone mentioned in another thread I was reading (while doing a search!) that JK's website has instructions for code retrieval on the 95-ish trucks. I looked at his website, and haven't found it. Could someone who knows where it's at post the link for me???

My wife got a service engine soon light last night on her way home from out of town. The cruise was set, and the truck hiccuped, the light came on, and it seemed to be a little sluggish on the hills after that. She says it felt like the power improved after a fuel stop and during the course of the rest of the drive home. The fuel tank didn't get below 1/4. She was pulling a small Uhaul trailer, probably no more than 1,000 lbs.

So, now I guess it's time to check the codes. I will say that I did get it low (1/8 or so) on fuel a week and a half ago or so. Also, a couple of weeks ago I pulled my Max-e-tork 2.0 and put the stock chip back in for emissions testing (doesn't affect the test, but I didn't know that at the time). I knew she was taking this trip, so decided to run it stock (with the light load) and see how economy was affected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rameye
10-25-2004, 06:40
Funny I just happen to have my service manual open as I am researching a similar problem....

OK for a 95, I'm going outside to do this right now on mine.....

Find the data link connector under the dash, under the intstrument cluster..it may be labeled Diagnostic Connector.

I use a paperclip and short the last 2 connectors on the right on the top row.

Turn key to the run position (dont start it) the check engine light should start flashing. The first code you get is a 12...thats a good sign. Youll get that 3 times, then it'll put up any stored codes...just count the flashes. These are all 2 digit codes BTW.

Good Luck

john8662
10-25-2004, 11:49
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/6265techtips.html

You can navigate to that page also by clicking "Tech Tips" on the KD homepage, then going to 62 65 tech tips. you'll find the link within for code reading.