PDA

View Full Version : Raced 03 HO Today

GMCTRUCK
10-02-2002, 22:47
Ended up at a light side by side with a black, 4x2, 2500 quad cab sport, Cummins HO, today. It was quiet. The two trucks engine sounds blended enough to where you couldn't tell one from the other. We gave each other a thumbs up and in a brief discussion I found out it was an HO 6spd with just a few hundred more miles on it than I have on mine. Basically he liked it and said it ran a little stronger than his previous HO. He was surprised mine was a stick and said it was the first DMAX 6spd he had seen. The light turned green and we left easy in second, looked at each other and hit it. We were pretty even at first then I slowly crept ahead. Then I heard him bark 3rd and then I barked 3rd. My lead was increasing more and more, chirped 4th and was clearly pulling away till we were back in traffic. We coasted side by side and gratiously gave each other smiles and thumbs up again. My truck is still stock other than the tires (JK exhaust should be here any day!) and I assume his was also. The only other truck I have raced was about a month ago I was side by side with a Chevy DMAX but, with the Allison. Same configuration as mine otherwise. He commented on liking the carbon metallic and was also surprised I had the 6spd. Again the first he had seen. His was an 01 or 02 with 33k miles and stock. I had 500 miles and still had the stock tires. We left easy together and then nailed it. I jumped him enough to bark 3rd gear next to his open window. Just after that he was right next to me and I started to creep on him again and then I blew it. I went right past 4th and into 6th. I looked down at the shifter then back up and he was gone. I caught up to him and shamefully told him what happened. Other than that he was impressed and said having my tail pipe roar and chriping 3rd right next to his window was wild. It seemed in gear I could pull him and as soon as I'd shift he would get a jump on me, so that we stayed pretty even till I screwd up. I am very curious to see what stock and juiced 6 speed Duramax trucks put down on the dyno compaired to the Allison numbers.

Jelisfc
10-04-2002, 07:57
From you sig it looks like there will be two of us with identical trucks soon color and trans! Do you have any pics with the new tires?

GMCTRUCK
10-04-2002, 10:26
Sorry I do not have any pics with the new tires. I am a computer moron, so when I do have some pictures I'll have to get my wife to show me how to post them. I couldn't take the tiny stock tires. Going one size up filled it out a little better. They are mounted on the stock alloys. I think anything bigger and I would have had to trim the front bumper cover/airdam combo. You should enjoy your truck. ZF6 is very notchy at first but, gets better. Its a huge tranny if you poke your head under and take a look. My only complaint is a quirkyness with the throttle when first getting going when the truck is cold. Which seems to be the computer interveening with the drive-by-wire throttle.

Jelisfc
10-04-2002, 11:33
I noticed the throttle lag when testing an automatic. I occasionally drive a Detroit series 60 and I can tap the pedal completely to the floor and let up before the engine responds. It's just is a different way of driving.

afp
10-04-2002, 21:41
Finally! Nice to see some guys messing around without ego. It's much more fun that way.

Blaine