PDA

View Full Version : Update on "death shake"...

BobND
04-05-2005, 22:08
We finally got back to the 6.2, and pulled the oil pan and front cover. There's no visible main web cracking, and the crankshaft seems "sound".

Interestingly, there is no sign, whatever, of the rear main seal, just a clean empty groove. If I recall, some of the early engines used a rope seal? What years would that be? Anyhow, there's no sign of a seal, or any remnants, not even in the bottom flywheel cover. I seems the bottom of the engine has been untouched for a while, as the main bearings are dated 10-82!

We will replace the main bearings, and oil seal, and look closer for any cracks, and see how the main cap bolts tighten up.

The oil pump has damage to the gears, a good sized chunk out of one, so we will replace that. I'm having trouble locating a new oil pickup tube assembly. The Perfect Circle dealer says it's been discontinued. Will 6.5 pickup tubes fit, and if so, what years?

The timing chain was LOOSE, and will be replaced. I hope that may help with the shake issues!

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated!

john8662
04-06-2005, 13:36
Oil pump pickup, yes the 6.5 one will work, I ran into that same problem not too long ago. I prefer the 6.5 pickup tube over te 6.2 one, looks to me like the newer pickup as the ability to grab more oil but at the same time it doesn't have as big of a screen to deflect stuff from getting into the oil pump. Just use the pickup screen for an early 6.5, or for the Melling M55HS oil pump.