PDA

View Full Version : IP question for a 6.2 w/ Banks Turbo

Beltway
04-06-2005, 11:02
Greetings all.

I'm a new member and have got to say that this is one incredible site! I can't get over how much information I've found already.

I've got an '84 K-10 Suburban with 150,000 miles on a 6.2L and a Banks turbo. I need a new IP and have found a shop that will work with me to make sure its calibrated correctly. He has two pumps I could get. One is the DB2-829-4502, designed to replace my -4274, that he will turn up to Banks specifications. The other is a heavy duty unit that is designed for the newer turbo motors. It has a "steel sleeve advance" and is apparently much more durable. It is, however, going to deliver more fuel than my system was originally designed to work with. Not sure if he can turn it down to meet my specs. It also costs $100 more than the other.

My question is, which makes the most sense for my truck? I'm leaning towards the 4502, as it is what my truck and the Banks system was designed for. May not last as long as the upgraded unit, but it should work just fine for the next 70,000 miles or so and probably won't threaten my engine with overly high EGTs and heavy sooting due to over fueling. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Beltway

john8662
04-06-2005, 13:41
If you're saftisfied with the current power output I'd stick with the 6.2 pump that will be turned up for the Banks turbo. This would be the safest route as you are already familiar with how to keep temperature in check with the system you arleady have. Why are you replacing the injection pump? While your in this area 150K miles means you're due for a fresh set of injectors.

The other injection pump that the build was quoting you is probably an updated version of the DB2 4911 injection pump setup for an early 6.5TD that had mechanical injection. This pump can be turned down to your needs, but it won't be turned down much because you'll be making about the same power with the turned up 6.2 pump as the 6.5 pump is. The 6.5 pump just has the potential of making more power and delivering more fuel, enough fuel in stock form for 250hp (max).

Beltway
04-08-2005, 06:05
Thanks, John, for the reply. I don't have any need for tons of power, as I never tow much. I'll happily lose some hp potential and keep my current 19mpg. I think my heads are slightly warped already so I don't want to risk overheating the EGT. My compression is currently between 340 and 360 psi at 6 "puffs" for every cylinder. Can't risk it going much lower than that.

I'm replacing the pump due to a leaky throttle shaft. I know I could install a kit to fix that, but given the age of the truck I figure it may be worth my while to replace the whole unit. I've got a stack of recipts from the PO and there is no evidence of an IP replacement at any point. I have already ordered a set of rebuilt injectors, so between them and the new IP I'll hopefully experience a nice power increase. Given the pool of fuel that forms in the valley I should also see better fuel mileage as well.

Thanks again for your input. I'll order up the 4502 today.

john8662
04-08-2005, 07:07
Yes, the 6.2 pump sounds like your best bet. Your compression is very normal for the Mileage you have, your engine should still be in good condition. I think after the injectors and new injection you'll be set. I agree with you, leaky throttle shaft is reason with the miles to go ahead and rebuild the injection pump.