PDA

View Full Version : Mystery wires?

Dvldog 8793
05-09-2004, 04:41
Howdy
I'm in the process of doing MY first maintenance on my 84 6.2 G20 van. I have a few questions:
(1) Does anyone know what the wires by the glow relay are for. I found two male plugs with two wire each. A red plug w/ yellow and blck wires and a white plug w/ blue and blck wires. Are they test leads or has somebody done some "modifications"
(2) The exhaust on the driver side has a vac controlled cut-out on the manifold. This has been disconnected. I assume this is for a warm-up function? Will it effect the way the motor runs?
(3) The EGR has been disconnected but left in place, is this going cause any bad problems. I plan on putting on a non-EGR intake down the road sometime. If my vac system works I should be OK leaving the EGR as-is???
(4) Why would anyone use Autolite glow-plugs? I replaced all my plugs with 60Gs and 5 of the old ones were Autolite and the rest were Delco 9s.
thanks in advance!
Conley

CleviteKid
05-09-2004, 06:39
In reverse order:

4. Autolite glowplugs? Ignorance. The installer did NOT know about TheDieselPage.com when he or she changed the plugs.

3. A permanently-closed EGR valve won't hurt anything. The fact that the rest of your vacuum system works, like for heater controls and cruise control, proves it was disabled correctly.

2. The exhaust valve on the driver's side is the EPR - exhaust pressure regulator - and its ONLY function was to be sure there was pressure at the EGR valve by forcing the driver side exhaust over to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Without EGR there is no need for EPR.

1. The wires and plugs you describe are definitely post-factory "modifications". The glow plug controller at the back of the driver's side head is a particularly sensitive electro-mechanical nightmare that will blow up at the least provocation. So if you want to remove the offending wires and plugs, be sure to disconnect BOTH batteries so you don't fry something. For a more reliable glow plug system, you should think about upgrading to the integrated 1985-1993 style glow controller and relay as described in the 2001 FEATURE ARTICLES (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back01.htm) reprint book from www.TheDieselPage.com. (http://www.TheDieselPage.com.)

Dr. Lee :cool: