PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 Shootout

SWLA
11-24-2002, 18:39
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought everyone would be interested. Moderators, if I'm not allowed to post links to other sites please delete this post.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html

xwing
11-27-2002, 06:28
Wow, looks like the new Ford 6.0 Diesel kicks our Duramax's behind pretty convincingly.
Notice their diesel carries its powerband UPWARD, to around 37-3800rpm! Our engine peaks/shifts at only 3200.
Since HP = TQ x RPM, they are making some serious hp on topend WITHOUT having to make more torque...thus is easier on the transmission, which slips when there is too much TORQUE, but doesn't care about RPM.

I've been harping on trying to bump up the shiftpoint/rpm on our Duramax's forever. My old GMC 6.5 Diesel with Banks Turbo kit would shift at 3700 and PULLED HARD right to 3700; tell me our 4 valve wonder engines can't breathe as well at high rpm as THAT old diesel!

Juice'd etc my/our trucks easily beat that Ford, but we are now in the position Ford USED to be in...second place unless we modify vs. their stock. Wonder how much they can upgrade without major mods (turbo/injectors etc)...we have alot of mod ability WITHOUT changing everything in sight/out of sight.

Diesel to the MAX
11-27-2002, 06:45
Very interesting article! I wonder how long it will take before Dodge drops the Cummins and switch to a Mercedes engin? I understand Dodge has recently committed to stay with Cummins for another 5 years.

Another observation, wasn

DieselDennis
11-27-2002, 09:07
I believe that the last "official" thing I heard was the Dodge was locked up with Cummins til/through 2007.

And I don't know who outsells who or how they break it down but I'd have to see some hard factual numbers from a documented source to believe that Ford didn't sell more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, diesel or gas, than GM or Dodge. I see A LOT of Super Duties around here. Can see several HD gassers if I look. Only a few Duramaxes around here.

Diesel to the MAX
11-27-2002, 09:54
With respect to Dodge/Cummins that is the same info I have heard.

As far as who sells most, I remember reading some where that when you combine the Chevy and GMC truck lines, they sell more the Ford.

Occasionally while traveling, I will count the number of Fords, Chevy/GMC and Dodge truck. Almost always Chevy/GMC will top Ford and always Dodge. Not scientific, but something to do during road trips.

ccds
11-27-2002, 10:42
SWLA

thanks for the great link...very interesting

smile.gif

WKener
11-27-2002, 17:06
Part two of the saga:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/part2page1.html

Interesting how the dodge, running the 4.10 gears as opposed to the 3.73's, was significantly slower unloaded in the quater mile, and even on the unloaded 7% uphill run... But it looks like those 4.10's pay off in the loaded hill climb.

I am anxious to see how the trucks stack up on the 15% loaded hill climb. That's rough!

ccds
11-27-2002, 19:37
thanks for the second test Wkener, I was there today and must of missed it.

smile.gif

mackin
11-27-2002, 19:52
My impression of the testing all be it the Ford has released a heavy hitter but the Duramax is right on the 6.0 torqushift's heels ...Not to shabby at all considering the 6.0 Navistar was in development before the Duramax......The torqushift will have some growing pains as the Big brother to it our Allison has had.....Time will tell, my belief is now that GM has a contender they will not lay down and have tire tracks running across their back any more, as in the past....Testing shows true to belief the Cummins is a brute puller in 6 speed HO dress......

MAC :D

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Stage 1
11-28-2002, 05:22
Also need to wait and see what the production Ford trucks will do. Worker at factory say they are not building the new diesels trucks yet. The Ford test truck may not be a final production version?
Very cautious of results from vehicle tests when they are provided by manufacture. You know marketing folks are going to want to tweak them, especially on a new truck. Remember the excuse in the 60s was to compensate for the reviewers inability to operate the vehicle correctly!
Just saying that a buyers decision should be based on accurate and complete information/knowledge.

Maverick
11-28-2002, 14:36
Speaking of Ford providing information on there trucks......did anyone see the new Ford 6.0 PS commercial during the last Nascar race? They had a Dmax and a new PS hooked to GN horse trailer and running on a 1/4 drag strip. Guess what....the GM truck lost.....can you believe that.

imported_
11-28-2002, 15:08
In view of all of the other advantages of the GM trucks over the Fords - especially the renowned Allison tranny, plus, better ride, stiffer frame, nicer interior - being a few seconds slower don't phaze me at all. I've towed long 10-12 hours/day in total comfort. What maters to me and to my family is sufficient power, reliability and comfort. The D/A delivers all that I need.

TooMuchMuscle
11-28-2002, 15:50
HB,
You took the words right out of my mouth... Testing or no testing, I have more faith in my DMax... What a great truck. Happy Turkey Day to everyone!!! :cool:

mowser
11-28-2002, 22:22
I still think for my application that I made the right choice.....I have a 2002 Chevy "Big Dooley", extcab 4x4, Duramax/Allison and I tow a 13,500 lb 5th wheel with it.
I checked the Dec/2002 Trailerlife magazine towing guide: the Ford SD F-350 Supercab 4wd DWR 6.0 TD is rated at 12,600 lbs, my truck is rated at 14,900 lbs and the Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4WD 5.9 TD HO with the 3.73 axle is rated for 13,350 lbs. The Dodge with the 4.10 axle is rated at 15,350 lbs, but both 5.9 TD HO's only come with a standard 6 speed, so therefore my truck in an Automatic is still King of the Hill, as far as I'm concerned. :D

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: mowser ]</p>