PDA

View Full Version : "Hi Pop" Injectors: Add 40 HP?

Duncan Sterling
09-14-2005, 06:04
Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone here's had any experience with the "hi pop" injectors from Kennedy Diesel.

I've heard claims that they can add up to 40 HP, which sounds kind of high for just changing injectors.

I'm guessing you really need to upgrade the injector pump too, right?

TIA,

--Duncan

john8662
09-14-2005, 06:40
This is a subject that is at a bit of debate.

The hi-pop injectors are probably not a good idea in a 6.2 that has the 6.2 injection pump. The 6.2 injectors have a lower pop pressure, so the pump is calibrated for this. I feel that the 6.2 pump would have a difficult time popping the Hi-pop marine injectors, and you could possibly see degraded performance.

The 6.5 injectors are at a higher pop pressure, and the pump is calibrated for this, and is able to handle it. So, the 6.5 pump would be more capable of handling a higher pop pressure.

So, if you're considering upgrading to the hi-pop injectors, just be aware that it WILL require a DB2-4911 injection pump or DB2-5088 pump.

Now, 40HP increase? I don't know for sure on this, but I HIGHLY suspect that they don't. They sure can have the POTENTIAL to increase HP if everything is right.

This will require an adequate and open exhaust, most likly a turbo system with 3.5" exhaust, and open air filter system, like an Amsoil foam air filter.

We'll see, I'm installing a set of marine hi-pop injectors in my new 6.5 engine, that will be installed at the beginning of next month.

Peter J. Bierman
09-14-2005, 12:21
Normaly speaking, every healthy DB2 should be able to cope with the Hi pop/ Flow injectors, but unless you upgrade the whole package, intake and exhaust, turbo with intercooler and so on, it will not do you much good other then a good cold start and and free powerstroke sound ;) .
40 HP just on injectors is not likely.
BTW, the marine injectors are specified for 6.5 turbo engines.

Peter