PDA

View Full Version : My camshaft is off by 180 degrees - is this a problem?

gavio
09-14-2005, 17:47
Hi Y'all:

I have gotten down into my engine at last and after quite some confusion with positioning the crank for dissassembling the timing set (it kept not coming out like the pictures in the manuals), I found that the problem is that the camshaft sprocket is oriented 180 degrees from where it should be. In other words, the indexing marks on both the cam and crank sprockets are at 12 o'clock at the same time.

I assume that this isn't a problem in and of itself, and that I could just replace the timing chain and as long as I don't move anything, it should work like it did before.

However, I'm wondering if it's worth it to fix it - and if so, what would be the best way to do it? Any thoughts?

For what it's worth, I don't see any evidence of the front cover having ever been off this engine before and at 160k miles, I would expect this to be it's original timing chain - it's pretty sloppy.

Thanks!

BobND
09-14-2005, 18:30
Assuming this is not intended as a joke, turn the CRANKSHAFT exactly one turn, and then note the position of the crankshaft gear and comshaft gear timing marks.

arveetek
09-15-2005, 06:13
Building on what Bob said, the crank sprocket turns twice for every turn of the cam sprocket. Therefore, with the cam and crank timing marks at 12 o'clock, turn the crankshaft one full turn, and then both marks will be pointed at each other. If you turn the crankshaft another full turn, both marks will be at 12 o'clock again.

It's impossible for the camshaft to be off 180 degrees and the engine still run.

Casey

gavio
09-15-2005, 09:31
I figured it out when I woke up this morning......

It wasn't intended as a joke - I really had missed how it works. It might have helped if I had turned the book upside down :D

It's pretty shocking when a man comes up against his ability to miss the obvious. Now how 'bout we keep this under our hats.....I do after all have a reputation among my friends as being an intelligent person :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys.

Lothar
10-07-2005, 05:20
Hey Gavio--

Check out my post about which fuel filter to use. I'm setting up a waste veggie system for my truck and am wondering about the primary fuel filter to use. All my pre filtering is done at the tank but i will be putting my selector solenoid for veggie at the firewall by the primary diesel fuel filter. I plan on putting a final veggie fuel filter there as well and the solenoid in between them. What kind of filter should i use for the veggie. Should i get a duplicate filter for the veggie to match the primary diesel filter, or will a 10 micron bowl filter from tractor supply with a replaceable element suffice?

How's your kit set up?

Inspector
10-31-2005, 19:28
LOL