PDA

View Full Version : new injectors and pump...any thoughts....

doncannon
09-17-2005, 11:53
Hello all,
I have ordered a new 6.5td injectors and 4911 pump. They are due here 9/21. I was courious if there are any special tools or thing to try to get the process to go smoothly?
Thank you all for your help,
and making this the best damn page/site ever!
Don

john8662
09-17-2005, 14:00
If you don't already own them, you'll want the 30mm injector socket thats for these engines. For removing the injection lines from the pump itself, you'll need a "crows foot" wrench and a long extension (preferably a wabble extension). You'll only need a 9/16" crows foot, but Craftsman sells a small set that has them all in it.

Also, go get yourself the felpro intake manifold gaskets, which come with the pump to cover gasket. You'll also want a fuel return line kit for the new injectors, get the type that are fabric lined that don't need the retainer clips on them. You will also want to make sure you have the two end caps that go on the back two injectors, because the ones you have will almost certainly break, which do requre the clips.

jcomp
09-17-2005, 17:15
When I did the same thing, I also went with a set of 6.5 injector lines. I didn't want to screw with trying to bend the old lines and the possible leaks that can result.

twaddle
09-17-2005, 20:12
Also draw a picture of layout and position of the injector pipes.
Makes it easier on assembly.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland.

doncannon
09-19-2005, 17:36
Hello All,
Well Tim Wagner at Accurate Technical Services has done it! He got the injectors and pump here today, very good considering the weekend (3days not including the weekend...ups dont run). I will unpack them tomorrow. Ill keep all of you posted...would like to swap 6.5td intake and add the intercooler...to be continue (dont you hate that)
Don

Subzilla
09-20-2005, 04:35
Tighten the lines at the pump first, then tighten the lines at the injectors when re-installing. This makes "seatting" of the fittings at the pump a whole lot easier and will eliminate leaks. I know from experience!! I number the lines and pump fittings with masking tape when removing. This eliminates worry of mixing lines although it has been said that each line will only go back on one way. And yes, that injector socket works great as it has a hex head on the end. Gets tight there at that back injector and the A/C box. I bought my last pump from Tim Wagner and he has always been very responsive and helpful to my e-mails and phone questions. Have fun.

doncannon
10-03-2005, 13:58
Hello all,
Thanks for all your help got the injectors and pump in just need to bleed the lines and hook up the exhaust. Has anyone ever tried just leaving off the little hoses while they bleed the lines? would it hurt anything?
thank you again,
Don

john8662
10-03-2005, 17:00
Go ahead and and hook up all the return lines because you're already there and it won't take that long.

Besides, if you leave them off and you get the system bled, it's just one more thing you HAVE to do before you can start it. I don't know about you, but when I get everything hooked up and get the lines bled last, I can't wait to make some smoke out the exhaust.

To bleed the lines you'll only need to leave the connections at the injectors finger tight only, simply loose.

dieseldummy
10-03-2005, 20:00
I actually only leave the front two on the drivers side loose, or whichever two are easiest to get at. I have always had good luck with this method. My 6.2 started up within 3 cranking sessions last night doing this.

doncannon
10-07-2005, 21:38
Hello all,
I tried leaving off the return lines..just so maybe it would bleed a little easier. Wrong. I connected them then disconnected used a suction on them then a suction on the new pump. After about 5-10 min it started to push fuel..while cranking after every attempt now she fires! I went for a ride and boy she puts 10lbs of boost. Just checked the other topic it seems I need to find headbolts. where can I get those on a saturday.
thank you all,
Don

doncannon
10-17-2005, 17:08
Hello all,
an update..WOOOW boy does this thing go!!! anyone have a boat anchor?
Don