PDA

View Full Version : Just got home with newest e-bay buy

darkroad
04-16-2005, 07:55
Well the diesel bug has hit me hard since I bought my 1990 V2500 6.2 NA GMC Suburban early last year. I found this on e-bay and it was only about 4 hours from home.

web page (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7964114354)

It is suppose to have a blown head gasket or cracked head. Hopefully it is just the head gasket. It has a mechanical injector pump.
Here is what info I have found out so far. It came out of a 1992 postal c3500HD with a 20 foot cab over box. Block casting number is 14022660, date code is C079. Intake # 10149635 date is 03/27/92. Turbo spins freely and is a GM-1 model Part number is 10183934, date is 1182N Is this turbo enough for my suburban or should I run a later model gm?

It has a complete serpentine belt setup complete with ac compressor, alternator, idlers, power steering pump. The turbo feed line is plumbed into a port directly above the oil filter and returns back into the fuel pump plate.

No markings on the valve cover except for GM.
Don't have time to disassemble as I am trying to put up a 30 x 70 metal building so I can quit working in my gravel drive Is there going to be a problem using this turbo setup in my 1990 suburban? Am mostly wondering about the downpipe and front driveshaft clearance. Right now the truck has 2" duals all the way out the back.

A little more history. I bought the truck off of e-bay about a year ago, It came from about 60 miles above NYC. Had most every option you could order for that year. HD springs all the way around and an interior that I have never seen . Had a decent paint job but was severly rusted in the rear area. Cut all that out and replaced with new metal parts and touched up the paint, new carpet, 900 watt 15 speaker stereo system. It was suppose to have a banks turbo setup on it but when I received it the turbo wasn't there just an empty spot. The dealer returned 500 dollars because of the missing turbo. They replaced the passenger manifold with a stock one and ran the duals. So here is what I still have. The banks filter assembly, the top box for the intake and the chrome pipe and rubber hoses.. No exhaust manifold nor exhaust system or crossover pipes. Has about 200,000 on the motor but not sure. It may be a replacement engine as I don't know if the turbo and engine died at the same time. Has a Goodwrench 6.2 sticker on the drivers valve cover. Ran a compression test and got mostly 400, one at 410 and two at 385.
Have already bought gear drive timing set and related items. Am probably just going to add those to the existing engine for now and rebuild the other later this summer when I get my building finished.

I might be better off just collecting the other parts I need to make the banks system work. Do I need to use the banks turbo or can I bolt up a different model to the banks exhaust manifold.

Thanks for any help

Darkroad

1990 V2500 suburban 6.2 NA
1990 V1500 suburban custom 355 vortec
1988 R2500 454 silverado suburban 60,000 original miles

[ 04-16-2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: darkroad ]

BobND
04-16-2005, 10:22
I like the "environmental seals" on the various hoses and fittings!

That looks like an interesting project. I had seen that on ebay, but it was way too far away from me!

darkroad
04-16-2005, 15:58
Yes thats the first thing I noticed too. Nice bright colored gloves. But at least he thought enough ahead to cover the openings up. His dad also threw in a good modine diesel radiator when I picked it up never hurts to have a spare. As with most gearheads I have too many projects on the table at any given time. I think if I quit work and worked on everything right now I would still not be finished by the end of the year.

Darkroad