PDA

View Full Version : tips / tricks for adjusting hood release cable

wthif
09-23-2005, 10:16
I need to adjust the hood release cable. Haven't had much time to look and see how easy it is or isn't. I have almost a inch of slack and to open the hood I have to push firmly on the hood after pulling the release cable. Is there something I can crimp onto the cable to take up the slack or something that can be done inside the cab? Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-23-2005, 10:45
Piece of cake.

There a several ways to do it, I've used 2.

Use small wire ties (zip ties), and zip one or two on the cable near the bead. I've done this on my '85, and so far it's lasted over 10 years.

Another way is to use a piece of copper tubing, measured/cut to whatever length you want to offset the cable, slip it over the bead, and crimp it onto the cable. Don't crimp it enough to pinch the cable, but enough to keep it from pulling onto the bead. The tubing piece should be loose on the cable.

When you take up some of the slack on the cable, don't take too much. The cable needs some slack to allow it to latch. Usually, less than 1/4" should be enough. If you need more than that, you may have other issues with the cable, and may lead to a stuck hood if it isn't remedied.

wthif
09-23-2005, 19:48
Thanks for the ideas, I'll try zip ties and go from there.