PDA

View Full Version : Need help on stalling

Joey Madison
10-26-2004, 17:24
I believe it's the FSD, any opions. It will stall or cut out, let of off pedal and let it idle for a minute or two seems to help sometimes. FSD was replaced about 4 months ago. Today it would stall and I would crank it back up and it would stall agian. Happened about 10 times before it stayed running.

Hye
10-27-2004, 02:19
Welcome.
Sounds more like fuel filter and/or lift pump. Do a search on _lift pump_ using the tiny search link below the flashing banner at the top of the page.

rameye
10-27-2004, 03:49
Check to see if your lift pump is running. With the engine running, crack open the fuel bowl water remover (the T next to your thermostat). You should get a good stream of fuel, if not or the engine stalls, you got it licked!

Joey Madison
10-27-2004, 14:08
It's not the fuel filter, already changed it.

Joey Madison
10-27-2004, 14:17
Originally posted by rameye:
Check to see if your lift pump is running. With the engine running, crack open the fuel bowl water remover (the T next to your thermostat). You should get a good stream of fuel, if not or the engine stalls, you got it licked! Done that, no stall and good stream of fuel.

izak
10-27-2004, 21:07
Thats what my FSD did before it died. I ran it, stalling every once in a while, for about 2 weeks. Then one sunday I decided to change the filter, OPS, and Lift Pump. Filled it to the brim with fuel the next day drove it to work with no problem. As soon as I started it for the drive home it developed a severe case of surging. It was like the computer was mashing and then letting off the accelerator eventhough I was keeping the pedal steady. People thought I was nuts but I bucked my way to the closest dealer. Got the "metal shavings in the gas tank" diagnosis. They dropped the tank, threw away my new filter, lift pump, fuel, and the filter housing and put in a new IP. I'm back on the road now, but a couple of times it hasnt wanted to "go" when I mash on the pedal, get no boost, and huge clouds of black smoke roll out the back. After a minute or so the fit is over and it drives like normal. They warrantied the FSD/IP, but I think the whole metal shavings ploy is kind of obtuse. Seems to me if the shavings were there they had to come from the IP self destructing because the filter protects everything upwind of the lift pump. Why do I pay for all the damage the warrantied part did?

Anyway, that's my story on stalling. Hope yours ends up better. I wish I told them to save the lift pump for me. It might have made a nice bilge pump for the boat..

rameye
10-28-2004, 05:59
//Done that, no stall and good stream of fuel//

Ok then before changing out the PMD it's time to examine all of the engine grounds, battery terminals, connectors and associated wiring.

Clean/tighten all the grounds and battery terminals, break apart connectors and have a look.

Also you may have air entering the system that needs to be ruled out also.

Finally a check of the fuel shut off solenoid is in order...

Do the connections/ grounds first...very suspect.

ucdavis
10-28-2004, 19:08
If you haven't already, go to Member's Area & scroll down to article on "Solutions for...Stalling." Best comprehensive how-to on isolating the trouble. If the FSD is giving an intermittent, you can try the tighten-her-screws trick on that page.
You didn't say what year, but that plus checking & reporting on DTC's helps get longer-winded (but maybe informative) responses.

Joey Madison
10-29-2004, 11:46
It's a 2000 3500 and done all the above.

rameye
10-29-2004, 14:08
checked the fuel solenoid too??

If you did all the suggestions...I say time for the FSD/PMD.

Joey Madison
10-29-2004, 15:07
Just order the SOL-D module from RemarQ (FSD).

Tom Hallock
10-30-2004, 11:11
Hmmm I checked water line an received a good streem of fuel. Next I checked battery terinals, all were tight but one had some corrosion on bolt at terminal, scraped it cleen an drove it briefly.
No Problem. But, that usually is my problem. IUt might run fine for a week or two without any problems, then suddenly stall or have jerky movements, die an then come back to life.
Fuuny thing though, about a month ago I towed my fiver about 150 miles without any problem's; as soon I I released the load we had sudden stopping. Would start right up but had problems most of the way home.
Replaced fuel filter a couple of days later. All this stalling an NO Codes.
Maybe my truck is really a femmine truck and has PMS.

rameye
10-30-2004, 12:57
the bottom line is unless you rule out all of the usual suspects and know they arent the cause, you can spend alot of $$ and break your cajunes installing a new pmd and still have the same problem.

let the forum know how you make out.

rjwest
10-30-2004, 13:54
Make sure you don't have a trailer wire problem...
IE 12v intermittent short. Pull the fuse on the 12V

Tom Hallock
10-30-2004, 21:22
You know, that trailer wire fuse might just be the problem. It seems to me that we had stopped overnight at a Walmart and trailer lights weren't working the next day.
But with the trailer no longer hooked, would it still cont. to stall occasionally. After checking water line an cleaning post on battery went for test drive. With no problem. Of course thats what I have said for the past month till it stalls again.

rjwest
10-31-2004, 04:37
If there is an intermittent short in the truck
wiring, it may cause voltage spikes and not
blow the fuse .

Probably not the problem. But doesn't hurt to check.

Note: With all the problems I have, I may not be
the best berson to take advise from!!!

Tom Hallock
11-01-2004, 17:02
Here's a quick thought. Is it possible that the stalling be caused by the " fuel pump relay " or he " fuel solenoid ". Just a thought. Besides I'm sure that they're a whole lot cheaper than the fuel injector pump or a lifter pump.
Hell, if I had all the $$$$ I've pumped into this truck in the last 3 years I could have a new one.

Tom Hallock
11-02-2004, 08:02
Just returned from Chevy. dealer. As I said earlier, that I'm not a mechanic; an because of phsical problems can't crawl under truck. So with that said. Needed to have oil changed an asked for Synthetic oil, no such item availabe. Ok no big deal. Also asked to check block heater as after I plugged it in I heard no sound coming from area of plug. Further requested that because it had stalled out many times yesterday to check out Fuel Pump Relay an Fuel Solenoid.
don't know if it would do anything, but I figure they're there for some reason. And, not wanting to spend a bundle of dollars, why not start out cheap an work my way up.
No codes were read so they didn't go any farther. I've got to admit this only the 3rd or 4th time in for the same reason; and every time they say "there are no codes".
Something certainly is stopping the fuel from getting to the engine. Lifter pump is sending a good stream. So where do I go from here?

rjwest
11-02-2004, 08:58
Usually stalling with no codes ( lift pump good )
is FSD or Inj Pump . Pump is warrenty to 120k
mile if you can get a good dealer....

Tom Hallock
11-04-2004, 20:49
OK, I admit defeat. After driving it on the hwy. this afternoon, having it stalled twice at 65mph. And, amost sstalling out several more times. The truck goes into the shop on Monday for a new " inj. fuel pump. Hopefully this will be the end of my problems for awhile.
Or maybe I should drop it into the Lake of the Osarks an claim it was stolen. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just nickel an diming me, but in Sept. it was $900, back in June it was $1200 and now I hear about $1500.
If I didn't need the power to pull my fiver, I'd get a gas engine. But I'm looking at moving up to a bigger fig in a year an that means heavier.
Oh well, at least my kid ain't getting it.

DickWells
11-08-2004, 20:00
Joey.
No-one can over state how critical those grounds are. The two that used to get me the worst, before I went to a mechanical pump, were the one at the back end of the passenger cylinder head, and the pair of grounds on top of the frame, right by the starter. Both easy fixes. The terminals may have to be repaired at the same time. I ran a 5/16 SS bolt through the frame and double nutted the terminals for the ground by the starter.
The FSD is another great candidate for your kind of problems, too. Remote mount on a heat sink is the only way to go.
IP is a last resort proposition. In any case, these things can drive you nuts. Hope you get some resolution, pronto.
Good luck.
Dick

Joey Madison
11-09-2004, 17:05
SOL-D module from RemarQ (FSD)has been on 7 days and no stalls.

Calvin 60
11-10-2004, 13:24
Joey

were you having stalls before you installed SOL-D and how often?

Joey Madison
11-10-2004, 14:36
Originally posted by Calvin 60:
Joey

were you having stalls before you installed SOL-D and how often? Read first post.