PDA

View Full Version : glow ID, resistor value

FredM
09-23-2005, 18:20
my glow plug circuit is bleeding down the batteries, i will rewire and relocate the controller to the fender as per,please confirm the correct resistor value for extended glowing,also how do i determine what model glow plugs i have?

john8662
09-24-2005, 09:24
Perhaps a search here on the forum will find you what you're looking for in the correct resistor value for extending glow time.

For identifying the type of glow plug that you have, you only need to remove a plug and read the part number off the plug.

They will read 9G, 11G, etc. Or if they're not AC Delco plugs then they will have the model number for the brand that they are, but it won't be the same.

FredM
09-24-2005, 10:32
thanks John, i did that search thing already there were several different resistor values, had all the plugs out, all good, but couldn't identify, i'll try agin.

DmaxMaverick
09-24-2005, 10:43
If you can't identify your plugs, I would suggest replacing them with a known model. Many aftermarket brands are knock-offs of the original 9G's, which will cause major issues later on, even if your entire GP system is operating correctly. Even now, if you go to a parts store and ask for "GP's for this vehicle/year", you will get 9G equivelents.

The 9G can/will swell when they fail, causing serious removal issues. If you extend your glow times with these plugs, they will fail and likely swell.

Several DP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) offer high quality glow plugs at very competive prices to what you will find at your local parts house.

Also, if you replace with an AC60G plug, or equivelent, you may have to modify your GP controller for longer glow times.

FredM
09-25-2005, 16:12
yes thankyou, of course i have a fully functioning set of 9's. but i need the upgrade so out they go.

BobND
09-25-2005, 18:01
Originally posted by john8662:
Perhaps a search here on the forum will find you what you're looking for in the correct resistor value for extending glow time.

For identifying the type of glow plug that you have, you only need to remove a plug and read the part number off the plug.

They will read 9G, 11G, etc. Or if they're not AC Delco plugs then they will have the model number for the brand that they are, but it won't be the same. The last few boxes of Delco 60G's I've bought (from a legitimate source, I hope) no longer have the AC-Delco "60G" number on them, just a multi-digit group part number similar to a Bosch-type number.

john8662
09-25-2005, 20:02
BobND,

Thanks, the last set were marked, but they've probably changed, this was when they first came out with 60G. I still have 11G's in my truck, and when they fail, they will be replaced with quickheats.

waorth
09-26-2005, 10:00
The last few boxes of Delco 60G's I've bought (from a legitimate source, I hope) no longer have the AC-Delco "60G" number on them, just a multi-digit group part number similar to a Bosch-type number.FYI:
Bosch number for the AC60: 0 250 202 126

Walter

jcareyaustin
10-01-2005, 09:44
Hello,
Where is the information for doing this:

Also, if you replace with an AC60G plug, or equivelent, you may have to modify your GP controller for longer glow times.

for an 82 6.2L

Thanks,
Jim

FredM
10-03-2005, 14:55
the new ones i got came in AC Delco boxes marked 60G, made in italy, 445-0 100 271 107-10.5v. they look exactly like the 9's i took out. i hope they don't blowup.

dieselbegreat
10-04-2005, 09:37
I believe 5 ohms is a good start (ha ha), which I achieved by buying a two-pack of 10 ohm wire-wound resistors at Radio Shack and using them in parallel with each other.

jcareyaustin
10-05-2005, 18:24
Dieselbegreat,

Can you mod with resistors the old cigar type controllers found on 1982 6.2L? If so, which lead do you splice the resistors into? I appreciate the help.
Jim