PDA

View Full Version : Suburban auxillary fuel tank

Craig M
09-28-2005, 05:52
There was a 85 Suburban that sold on ebay last week they had a auxillary fuel tank. Stated it was "behind" the stock tank and had its own fill tube. Seller stated it was a manufactured tank not a hand made one off unit. Anyone ever hear of this before, or any other auxillary tanks for the 80's Suburbans?

Dieselboy
09-28-2005, 06:45
I've heard of saddle tanks being used, but never behind the stock tank. It's tight back there.

Tatraplan
09-30-2005, 05:13
Maybe the seller meant "beside"?

I thought that the pick-up an Suburban would
be the same, since they're both C-models. On
my C20 with auxillary tank there is one tank
(and filler cap) on each side of the truck.

What's a saddle tank? My tanks both look the
same and are sort of "strapped" to the frame
with two metal bands.

/Robert

Lightyear
09-30-2005, 05:29
My '88 Burb has the factory option 41 gallon tank. I've never seen a dual tank setup except on pickups. If you have access to a factory repair manual, you can compare the option codes on the glovebox door to the list in the manual and see if it's correct.

arveetek
09-30-2005, 07:00
Originally posted by Tatraplan:

What's a saddle tank? My tanks both look the
same and are sort of "strapped" to the frame
with two metal bands.

/Robert We refer to the side-mounted pickup tanks as saddle tanks. The pickup line used one stock tank on the outside of the driver's side frame rail. The dual tank option added another tank on the outside of the passenger's side frame rail. All Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans came with a larger tank mounted in between the frame rails at the rear, where our spare tire fits up underneath on the trucks.

Casey

Craig M
09-30-2005, 08:04
I agree that there is little room behind the stock 40 gallon main tank. That was why I was surprised by the answer. I was also assuming that an auxillary tank would be on the sides. Like the Dually tanks or the auxillary tanks for pickups. Wish I was closer so could see what he really has.

C.K. Piquup
10-16-2005, 15:19
I can only imagine having a larger tank,not another tank.Without reading the text,I would assume that must be what he had,the larger optional tank.

Craig M
10-17-2005, 14:02
He said it had its own fill tube. Larger main tank would not require a second fill tube.

C.K. Piquup
10-17-2005, 16:27
Oh yeah,I see that,now that I re-read your post.Hmmm...I`d like to cee that one.Never seen such an animal.