PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil and Tranny Cooler

TimK
05-31-2004, 20:57
About 6 months ago my the engine on my Sub grenaded. It was one of those spectacular failures that happen when the center main bearing decides to part company with the rest of the engine block. Wow, I never heard such a noise before.

Anyways, I am about 3 weeks away from ordering a replacement engine from DSG Canada(fully dressed engine with IP, injectors, timing gear and stud girdle) and a Banks Turbo from one of the other vendors listed on this site. Basicly the engine and turbo will use up most of my budget but I do have a small contigency fund. I was considering switching to an external engine oil cooler and an external tranny oil cooler. I was looking for recommendations. Is it really necessary? Most of my driving is either back and forth from work or long hiway trips. Not a lot of heavy towing. If oil coolers are recommended, should I put them in series with the in-radiator cooler or completely bipass the radiator?

I look forward to your advise. If you recommend a cooler(s), please provide info on brand, size or model.

Thank you.
TimK

[ 06-01-2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: TimK ]

Dieselboy
06-01-2004, 08:26
With the colder northern climate, you may want to go for a combination cooler setup.

Running the engine oil and ATF through the radiator coolers and then another set of coolers in front of the AC condenser would probably work best. The external units protect the fluids from over heating while the in tank coolers warm the fluid on the colder days.

I have found B&M's line of supercoolers to work well. They're plenty big, and the price is reasonable. I use a 28,000 GVW unit for my engine oil, and a 24,000 GVW unit for the transmission. I believe that Hayden also makes the same style coolers as well.

britannic
06-01-2004, 16:13
I recommend using hydraulic hoses and fittings for an external engine oil cooler - a failure in a line will lead to catastrophic engine damage very quickly.

TimK
06-01-2004, 20:04
Brittanic,

Did you ever sell that diesel motor that you swapped the Cummings for?

TimK

britannic
06-01-2004, 20:10
Yes, I did.

Peter J. Bierman
06-02-2004, 12:35
Not to me, :mad:

:D :D Peter

wthif
06-02-2004, 17:28
Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
Not to me, :mad: