PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed this deep tranny pan?

markrinker
07-08-2004, 18:38
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7909683683&category=33727

...if so, what effect did it have on your transmission's operating temperatures while towing?

Similar stories appreciated from similar pans - I want to know if these are worth the money. My guess is that they are.

eracers999
07-08-2004, 21:44
Mark;
Excellent choice, adds case rigidy, fluid capacity, and dumps heat.
Kent

Turbine Doc
07-09-2004, 05:44
Mark deep pan is a plus I have one from PML www.yourcovers.com (http://www.yourcovers.com) this ebay one looks like a good deal, just make sure it's the right one PML offers 2 for the 4L80 K series later models not sure about earlier model takes one a little differently shaped, I wound up with 3.75 qt extra vs 4 qt as pan had to clear cross member.

Billman
07-09-2004, 08:44
Mark

Looks the same as the B&M version. Probably made by the same company.

Excellant quality. Added 4-5 qts.

Drain plug, rigidity, lower temps(not sure how much though)...

Shuck
07-09-2004, 10:32
How does that affect ground clearance on a 4x4? I'd rather not bounce my pan off a rock or something while off-roading.

Uncle Wally
07-09-2004, 12:45
Mark,

I bought a Hughes Performance pan through Summit Racing earlier this year for my truck. It's a very nice piece. I had it modified to accept a temp sensor so I wouldn't run the risk of damaging it at each trans fluid change.

One note though. If the pan you are getting is what is pictured there, it sure looks different than the one I bought. Not sure hoe to explain the differences. One item though, mine came in a completely encompassing box, not the vacuum wrapped on cardboard packaging you see there.

I go crawl under the truck to make sure, but it sure looks different.

Waldo

rjwest
07-09-2004, 14:54
B&M, 20 degrees cooler,

Nice heavy alu, But expensive.

Rear 2 bolts in bm kit ( longer bolts with bigger head ) would not clear mount easily,
gave up and used shorter OEM bolts, no leaks,
but should get correct length bolt with smaller head
to complete install corectly, some day..

Spindrift
07-09-2004, 16:59
Is the Mag-Hytec worth the additional cost?

markrinker
07-09-2004, 17:27
Well I took the plunge and bought one off Ebay today. I'll continue the thread when I get it installed.

Question: How hard is it to tap for temp sender? I have always used those inline senders on the line to the radiator, but they always seem to get corroded and/or wires ripped loose while pheasant hunting in the cornstalks.

Uncle Wally
07-10-2004, 21:32
Mark,

I put my pan on a mill and reamed a hole in the side that was just large enough to slide a chunk of aluminum stock in. I put the stock in a lathe and drilled the hole. Then welded it in from the inside of the pan. Then tapped it out to match my sender. Probably overkill, but it sure looks sweet!

Waldo

Shuck
07-12-2004, 12:11
How does this pan affect ground clearance? Does it hang down?

Billman
07-13-2004, 05:05
The crossover exhaust pipe hangs lower by 1 inch.

markrinker
07-13-2004, 05:25
Does this mean I'll need to have a new crossover tube bent?

Billman
07-13-2004, 07:41
Mark

No. Definately not.

I was just stating that the crossover pipe STILL hangs lower than the trans pan.

markrinker
07-13-2004, 10:41
Damn! I thought there was a legitimate reason to get one of those mandrel bent, ceramic coated ones JK likes. I wish mind would rust out or something. I hate replacing OEM parts that still work!!!

slagona
07-13-2004, 12:39
Mark,

I have the B&M on my suburban. I put a temp sensor on it - I simply drilled a hole in the side of the pan with my hand drill, taped out the hole and inserted the sensor.

Has been working fine for the last year/30K miles of driving.

Wish I could weld Aluminum - I'm always looking for an excuse to break out the welder.....