PDA

View Full Version : New 6.2 Engine

DieselM1009
10-06-2005, 10:24
I have a Military 1984 6.2 CUCV, my current problem is that my bearings on the crank-shaft siezed. I am in the process of trying to replace the engine. The 8th digit on my vin number is "J", but I have v-belts not serpintine. I am going to get a lonk block from a remanufacture source. What should I be asking for? I am assuming the Military 6.2 is not the same as the civilain 84 6.2, correct? I am looking to do an apples to apples replacement, not an apples to prunes replacement.
I really need to get this truck on the road again ASAP so any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

arveetek
10-06-2005, 11:08
Actually, the military and heavy-duty (3/4 and 1 ton) civilian engines are the same, internally. As long as you order a J code long block, that's all you'll need. Everything that is military-specific is bolted to the outside of the engine, (injection pump, injectors, glow plug system, etc.) so you'll be pulling that stuff off the old engine and bolting it onto the new long-block.

FYI, the J code engines are the heavier duty models, but aren't much different, in all reality, than the C code engines found in the light duty 1/2 ton pickups, Blazers, and Suburbans. The C code engines had an EGR system and an injection pump calibrated for fuel economy. The J code engines didn't have an EGR system, and a more power-producing injection pump. The military engines had a different IP yet, one with hardened internals to withstand all types of fuel it might encounter.

There are few differences between a C code and J code longblock, and it has mostly to do with the size of the precombustion chambers.

There is talk that the military used stronger blocks than the civilian models, but I haven't found any proof to back that up.

Casey

DieselM1009
10-06-2005, 11:27
Casey

Thanks for the quick response, I think the issue I am having is the Engine Companies are putting me in the C - block 1/2 model engine not the J - block 3/4-1 ton model engine. They are just entering 84 Chevy Blazer. What civilain vehicles came equipped with the J-block model 3/4-1 ton version?
Thanks

85-m1028
10-07-2005, 04:48
only the military blazers came with the j code bock, civy blazers have the c code, I would just say you need an engine for a 1 ton pick up "no confusion" you'll get the j code heads, pump and intake manifold