PDA

View Full Version : I Bought Vinny's Problem

Low_Bridge
07-09-2004, 14:31
2500 94 Burban w 153K 6.5 Turbo diesel. In the middle of a hot Florida afternoon me & my wife put about 40 mile plus on this thing during the test drive. Even took it off road & checked out the 4 wheel deal. Didn't miss a lick. Went back to the dealer & "wraseld" with him to take my old lincoln on trade.

First day of ownership my wife drives 40 miles round trip no problems-

I jump in it to go to the post office that afternoon and at about 30 mph she dies. But starts right back up.

Whato--

Next day after a trip to wally world while loading the truck back up she dies again at idle, But after waiting 3 minutes she starts back up for my wife-

Brought it to a shop where he had it for a day and 1/2 he does the local police cars / govt and this dealers diesels. (My new Friend "LOL")He reported a code 35 and I gave him the info on DTC 35 Help Topic. But could'nt get a consistant 35 code and stalling to warrant replacing anything or even charge me.

He said the problem has to get worse before he can DX it.

I go to pick up the truck tonight- No Charge

After all my reading I'm starting to think FSD?

Whats a good process of elimination?

Is it a hint that the Silver grey cover that says 6.5 on the intake is missing ? :confused:

Would a cooler be a good first step?

When I bought my 82 Diesel I at least got a good 5 months out of her without touching a thing, then all hell broke loose. But w this groups help I got it ship shape. Boy I hate to sell her the old beater. She starts w/out glow on the first start of a hot Florida day.

This new burban is pretty as a picture, garage kept so again with yua'lls expert help will get through this too.

Bill

[ 07-12-2004, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

patrick m.
07-09-2004, 16:34
there is a whole list of things to do first. These things are checking battery connections, grounds, main engine harness connectors, etc, ect.
then you would want to think about the FSD-n-cooler package, doing what most of us did, leave the old one on the pump, add the new one in front of the driver's side battery.

Its quite a "lick" to the wallet, but worth it.

Low_Bridge
07-09-2004, 17:23
The DTC 35 Help Topic I had the mechanic go over the connections. He mentioned one he cleaned up. I'll do a search on fsd relocation to get specifics on why & where

Thanks

-Truck ran Flawless on the way home tonight.

[ 07-09-2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

Low_Bridge
07-10-2004, 03:13
So - lets see if I got this right.

I can move the FSD anywhere-

It by itself gets really hot doing it's job-

Could you elaborate on leaving the original one in it's place when you relocate?

Excuse me for asking but do you hook them up in series or did you mean just left to stand alone as is a back up.

I've got a box full of different heat sinks any harm in just mounting one one top with a couple of pull ties?

How about mounting on top of part of the ac that gets so cold under the hood?

Sorry if these are old redundant questions as I've just graduted to the world of 6.5 turbo.

As a last thought even though the shop that had my truck for a day and a half are apparently honest good mechanics.

If they really had a grasp on the turbo 6.5 shouldn't they have reccommened starting with a heat sink?

Turbine Doc
07-10-2004, 03:39
I've been doing some temp testing of FSD that leads me to believe just anywhere off the pump isn't a good idea, I have a remote mount just aft of drivers side batt that works well as long as there is sufficient airflow across the heatsink, I'm thinking out of the engine bay is best location, Bill Heath has a under bumper kit that looks to be where I'll be going with mine.

Some have mounted theirs in cab under the AC vent, Bill says from his testing best location for long term is bumper/grill area mount.

Low_Bridge
07-10-2004, 08:03
Ok this is my plan-

There's wide open spaces between the drivers side firewall and the pump-

1. Sandwich the fsd between two CPU heatsinks

2. Mount four or so inches up off the fenderwell

3. Mount a 12 VDC 3" radio shack (Archer)fan to blow across it.

Does this sound like a hokey attempt to cool it or might this be all it needs?

PS Whats a good way to hook a temp guage to it?

Dimsdale
07-10-2004, 08:41
I have mine in that blank space behind the driver's side battery and to the fenderside of the ABS unit. I bolted it on, and put a swithed computer fan on top with two long ty-wraps. So far, so good, but I think I may duct cooler air to it or move it behind the headlights for better cooling.

I always try to open the hood after driving in the summer to prevent the underhood heat soak, or park facing into the wind. Can't hurt!

Low_Bridge
07-10-2004, 08:55
I found a device in my cyberguys.com catalog that monitors temperature on 2 devices and will let you run a fan for up to 10 minutes after shutdown. I need to research it more-

rjwest
07-10-2004, 14:44
Radio Shack Indoor/ outdoor temperature gage, battery operated. run outside lead to FSD
stick it on with some tape, cover it with a little insulation , some more tape.

Not scientific quality, but good ref for heat build up.

Low_Bridge
07-11-2004, 09:03
Which one did you buy @ Radio Shack- I just stopped by and didn't see any that went up to the temp we need?

Also in shopping around for coolers some say a do-hicky calibration thing is needed?

Is that so?

Thanks

Low_Bridge
07-12-2004, 02:48
So Vinny pulls in behind me in my my driveway after coming home yesterday. The short of it is it had been his truck for two years & it had been stalling on him for 6 mos. He had a ton of stuff replaced but didnt have a clue about the FSD.

When I talked to the last mechanic Vinny had once he remembered the truck first thing said was sounds like FSD.

SO it looks like it's a choice of Who where & which heat sink to buy for the FSD?

Leave the stock one in place?

Or remove the old one & try it with a heat sink first in a cooler location?

If I remove the stock one from it's location does it need a cover?

[ 07-12-2004, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

matt-max
07-12-2004, 03:39
keep the stock one where it is. probably junk now anyway. wrestle with getting the harness off it. buy a long harness extension (heath diesel sells one) and a replacement pmd/fsd and bolt it on in the cool place of you choice using whatever temp reducing measures your mind can create. enjoy your new truck. don't tell vinny how much it cost to fix......probably about $400ish.

matt

ttpost
07-12-2004, 07:02
or you can make one your self for about 200 ish with a new fsd/pmd :D

Low_Bridge
07-12-2004, 09:00
Had a long talk w/ Vinny today- He said they refered to the Burb as the 94 with 95 Motor (late run?)

Any way 200ish sounds like a good price- from what I've been seeing for fsd's for. Is that about what you paid? (where) or were you talking plus the fsd? You don't have a pictue of that setup do you?

MTTwister
07-12-2004, 11:13
Bill, you can get either the Heath Plate, or a Beta finned cooler. You might be able to score a new FSD on E-gag at a reasonable price. Eitehr way, get the 6' extension cord, and mount the FSD out of the engine bay ( away from the heat..) Good Luck.

Oh, and on any FSD, pull the plastic caps off the transistors, and check the torque on the mounting nuts. S/B hand tight plus 1/8 of a turn. My new one had 'loose' mounting nuts out of the box.

Low_Bridge
07-12-2004, 13:59
Well I've got FSD/PMD syndrom-the top of my head feels like it's going to blow off- too much reading

This "may" be one of my last questions-

Initially I thought the PMD was that little deal directly on top of the manifold. That little puppy has been treated to a heat sink I had laying around on & put it on Saturday- Dah-
http://PartsNews.com/HeatSink.jpg

Well since then I realize It's located deep within the bowls of the intake-

Q: What specifically gets in the way removing the old one from the intake? Are the screws too long or can you just not even get a modified torx bit in there?

Q: If this makes you lol go ahead and tell me - The old style athlon computer heat sink and fans are rectangle in shape and have 2 fans on them. Can a fsd/pmd be sanwiched in between 2 of these coolers? Any reason why that might be a bad Idea?

I'm definately mounting in the cab.

[ 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

markrinker
07-12-2004, 14:14
Bill -

I am laughing WITH you, as I expect others are. Welcome to the 6.5L Turbo Diesel club. You'll get through it.

You may now have the 'coolest' turbo boost sensor in the USA.

Congrats!