PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I?

84 Convert
10-10-2005, 20:37
Thinking of turning up the pump prior to installing the turbo. Temps are as follows EGT -rarely over 900...Can reach 1150 or so on long full throttle pulls. Engine coolant now stays well below 200 on the stock gauge... more like ~160. I rarely tow anything of late just haulin' 8700+lb of truck around.

The other side of this is that I like the kind of mileage I'm getting and hate to screw up a good thing.

Thanks for any comments.

Gregg

john8662
10-10-2005, 22:06
This is the truck that doesn't smoke a lick right?

The number one problem with turning up the fuel w/o the turbo is that if you turn it up and you don't like it, it's somewhat difficult to get the setting back to where it used to be.

I'd say play if you're curious, but with Diesel at $3+ per gallon I'd leave it alone for mileage..

arveetek
10-11-2005, 11:47
First of all, it sounds like you could burn more fuel. When I was running n/a, I turned the pump up about a 1/4 turn, and I would see EGT's in excess of 1200 on most any grade, and it would go over 1300 quite regularly.

I was also seeing lots of black smoke out the tailpipes, but I did see an increase of power over the stock setting.

However, you won't gain that much more power, and will definitely see a decrease in fuel economy. If you're not desperate for more power, I'd concur with John and leave it alone right now. Wait for the fuel prices to stabilize before making any decisions to increase fuel flow. After all the work I've done to my engine, I have one heck of a hot rod, but the needle on the fuel guage drops much faster than before as well (down to about 15 mpg vs. 18 mpg before mods).

Casey

84 Convert
10-11-2005, 20:14
john8662, neither one smokes, but the BB better not, and the 6.2 is running great after the re-ring. More power is tempting, but it would just get me to the noisy part of the trip faster. I need OD BAD.

arveetek, are you suggesting that prehaps we share a malady? Knee down on the right leg is completely lead. I don't know what's gonna happen when I get this thing turboed. Yeah, I think I'll leave it alone for now and learn how to drive sensibly... then maybe when I have more power to play with I can drive with an "unleaded" foot!

That 16.5-16.8mpg consistency is something I'm not ready to part with yet.

Thanks,
Gregg

arveetek
10-12-2005, 12:56
Originally posted by 84 Convert:

arveetek, are you suggesting that prehaps we share a malady? Knee down on the right leg is completely lead. I don't know what's gonna happen when I get this thing turboed. Yep, and now since I 'upgraded' the engine, I have this terrible problem of leaving bits of rubber from my rear tires on the road. I can't seem to get it to stop! :D

Casey

dieselcrawler
10-15-2005, 04:31
I also have the same problem... I love the turbo whine... My fuel mileage has stayed about the same after installing the turbo, with the IP turned up about 1/8 turn, little smoke, and EGT's still get up to 1100 too fast under a load.

Greg

84 Convert
10-15-2005, 18:48
I doubt I'll be laying any rubber with mine...four tires stick well enough to snap an axleshaft in the Dana 70HD. Personal experience.

DieselCrawler, what turbo are you running and what kind of boost are you seeing?

Gregg