PDA

View Full Version : What intake & engine did I find?

bmiszuk
10-18-2005, 21:23
This afternoon I came across a junk 80's Chevy truck. It's got a GM diesel engine in the box which caught my eye. I noted the intake manifold as something I might want for my Suburban since I have a C intake. The intake did not have an EGR in the middle of it and had a fuel filter mounted on the back, with a spin-on filter still attached. The manifold looked like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7986649609&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT inasmuchas it had a 'figure 8' hole in it instead of an EGR and the fuel filter mounts like that. Aside from that, I did not note the position of the CDR hoses, etc.

Is that a 6.2 diesel? Could it be a 6.5? If I remember correctly the 6.5 fuel filter mount is in a different place.

I'm thinking of salvaging the intake, fuel filter assembly, and who knows what else. The IP is there, valve covers, etc. The oil pan is off and the crank is rusty (it's sitting in the weather) so I'm not sure if I want to mess with the entire engine... I wonder if it could be ruined.

What would you grab? I have to pay for the parts I take, but I expect reasonable prices. I definitely want the manifold if it'll fit my Suburban.

john8662
10-18-2005, 22:07
Sounds to me like an 82-83 model 6.2 J series with a round screw-on fuel filter on the back side of the intake manifold.

The filter looks like a small oil filter right?

If so, it will work on your 6.2.

The 6.5 intake will be a single plane intake manifold with only one CDR port located on the left/passenger side of the engine. This intake will also work on a 6.2, but will requre a 6.5 valve cover or late 6.2 valve cover with CDR mounted on it to work.

How much for the whole engine (block, heads, etc.) ?

I'd offer $50 for the whole lot, that way you might get some heads, the intake, etc. Otherwise, take what you can see yourself needing or wanting.

I don't think I'd want a rusty engine either, but they can be salvaged, they're REALLY seasoned...

[ 10-18-2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

bmiszuk
10-19-2005, 09:39
Yep, the filter looks like a small oil filter. I'll grab the manifold and filter assembly, and will see what condition the rest of the engine is in.

No place to store an entire engine at my house (though it is tempting) so I doubt I'll take it (unless it's a REALLY good deal! :D )

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
10-19-2005, 10:09
Originally posted by bmiszuk:
No place to store an entire engine at my house (though it is tempting) so I doubt I'll take it (unless it's a REALLY good deal! :D )

Thanks. "Really, Dear! It's a new end table. Everybody's gettin' one these days. Think I'll get another one so we'll have a matched set...."

mhagie
10-19-2005, 13:08
check the color of the block, if it is red then it is one of the high nichol content blocks and is desirable for rebuild.
Merle

Blzr6.2'83
10-20-2005, 08:59
This is kind of off topic, but I bought one of the intake manifolds form that guy on ebay, and it wasn't what was in that picture. It didn't have the holes on the rear to mount the rear filter, so I had to drill and tap my own. I emailed him several times and he never replied. Just thought someone might like to know, not to buy his over priced stuff, that is no where near as clean as the picture or even what he claims he is selling. Ok that is it, I did my ranting.

john8662
10-20-2005, 10:25
blzr,

Bummer man, that intake "looked" like just what you needed!

Post NEGATIVE feedback on his behalf!

Glad you ranted, otherwise we'll never know.

doncannon
10-21-2005, 20:18
bmiszuk,
That looks like my intake on my 87 6.2 j engine code. It is the factory intake. My intake was fine until I turboed it and then the ports at the base (cdr hoses connect there) keep popping off the caps. I do not know your plans for the 6.2 however another dp member suggested freeze plugs if you do decide to turbo it (sorry do not remember who it was). other than that it is great!
hope this helps,
Don

bmiszuk
10-22-2005, 11:25
check the color of the block, if it is red then it is one of the high nichol content blocks and is desirable for rebuild.
MerleI'll check it out Merle. Cold and raining here today so I didn't make it out there again.

No, Don, no plans to turbo it. I just want to get the less restrictive intake on it if I come across one for little cost.

I've wondered if it's possible to simply cut the EGR and restriction out of a C code manifold. Anybody ever try that?