PDA

View Full Version : Help our guys in Iraq

JohnC
10-19-2005, 12:52
I found this on another forum. Don't think he'll get much help there. Any ideas?

[quote]Hello, I am currently in Iraq. I have the 6.2 in my truck and it has a problem. Here is the background story. When I got it the truck it was weak, very slow compared to other trucks with the same armor etc. A group of competent mechanics took the truck and made it run better. For the last 6 months it has run great only a few suspension issues but nothing with the motor. Well about three weeks ago we went on a long drive. When I got back it was idling rough, very rough and some noted power loss. I went home on leave and when I came back my guys had just got back from an even longer/harder drive. It was idling so low/like crap it couldn

More Power
10-19-2005, 13:26
We offer free memberships and complete site access to members of the US Military or contract civilians serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If you have his email address, you might want to pass that along. I'll need his mil address and unit #.

Jim

PS. The article we did a couple of years ago about HMMWV's in Iraq (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/iraq.htm) was a part of our ongoing effort to help the military. The TDP books photographed and shown in that article were sent at no cost.

[ 10-19-2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

wthif
10-19-2005, 19:43
[quote][b] It was idling so low/like crap it couldn

JohnC
10-20-2005, 05:21
Originally posted by More Power:
We offer free memberships and complete site access to members of the US Military or contract civilians serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.Awsome!

moondoggie
10-20-2005, 08:30
Good Day!

Well, no one else is chiming in...

There's a short (5"?) piece of fuel line connected to the top-front of the IP & tees into steel fuel return lines; it forms a open-downward semicircle. Replace this with clear fuel line. Run the engine awhile & shut down. If there's more than a small air bubble in this line (it'll sit right there in the top of the semicircle), the IP's likely getting worn & needs replacing.

Access to a proper compression gauge would be nice too...

Thanks, More Power, for doing the right thing - glad a portion of our subscription is supplying this to our folks "over there." :D

Blessings!

More Power
10-23-2005, 10:52
Please welcome WytchDctr as a new member, and do what you can to help him. smile.gif

Jim

WytchDctr
10-24-2005, 03:48
Sorry I started another post before I saw this one. Yes the trucks over here have a/c installed on them. We keep our windows closed to help prevent injury in a blast. I have no idea how the guys did it before they started installing a/c with the heat in the summer here. The inside of those trucks gets hot enough without the armor on the outside and the body armor/gear we wear. Just as a note they already (well claim anyway) they changed the IP.

convert2diesel
10-24-2005, 07:35
Before you start ripping the pump apart, try adding about five gallons of engine oil to your tank. Apparently your army just decided to replace all diesel fuel in Irag with JP8 to standardize the fuel use. This stuff is 99% kerosine and while the turbines love it, the 6.2s don't like it at all. If the UEO corrects the problem, then try to source real fuel. You guys have enough problems without having to worry about your engine when you "just have to get out of there".

Bill

WytchDctr
10-24-2005, 23:36
Funny you say that. I pushed two more tanks for JP8 thru it after this happened to make sure it wasn't a bad tank. That didn't help. I went and found some real diesel at a KBR refuel point and filled it up with that last night. Its still not running right but its doing alot better.

twaddle
10-25-2005, 16:12
I don't know if the 6.2L powered H1 has a electric fuel lift pump or a mechanical lift pump but if it isn't operating properly that would cause a loss in power.

Also check that the three bolts holding the injection pump to the timing housing are tight this could allow the pump timing to be out.

Good luck

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

convert2diesel
10-26-2005, 17:40
OK, your half way there. Now try adding about a quart of tranny fluid to free up any of the internals that may have screeched to a halt on the kerosine. Hopefully the kero didn't do a bunch of damage. That stuff is drier then pop corn flatulations.

Bill

More Power
10-26-2005, 19:20
Just for reference, Stanadyne has offered what they call an "Arctic" pump for the 6.2/6.5 for more than a decade. This pump uses hardened head and rotor assy designed to deal with straight #1 or kerosene. I don't have the particulars, but the military spec pumps are also supposed to be able to deal with "battlefield fuel", meaning just about any derivative of diesel fuel including #2, JP and kerosene.

Jim

WytchDctr
10-27-2005, 20:47
http://www.diversecultures.com/other/army/PA310001.MOV

Sorry for the bad sound. This was taken with a small camera not really ment to take movies. You can barly hear what I am talking about, the plopping. You can however see the smoke. That didn't happen before whatever happened to the motor occured. Also this is with a warm truck, with DF-2, and it was already over 70 degrees. So its actually on its best behavior. Ill try and get a video of it at its worse and post that.

Also we where already adding trans fluid to it when we got jp8. One quart per tank.

twaddle
10-27-2005, 23:09
Hi Wytch Dctr,
It sounds more like a rough six cylinder rather than a rough running V8.
The way the smoke seems to be "puffing out" and not a constant stream it looks like a fault in 1 or 2 of the cylinders. The black smoke looks like unburnt fuel so it could be injectors or poor compression. You could try loosening off the injector pipes one at a time to try and identify which cylinder(s) may have a problem.
I don't think it is a valve fault as this normally gives a "chuffing" sound, have a listen at the air intake and also the exhaust pipe and see if there is any "chuffing".
As More Power suggested do a compression test. I usually like to do a test with the engine cold the another test with it at working temperature.

Is the engine showing back pressure if you remove the engine oil filler cap?
Is oil consumption higher than usual, how much oil does it use anyway normally and since this fault appeared again?

The other thing I noticed was there seems to be a rattle, This could be something from the exhaust system or rattle at the transmission.

Could you record and post another clip of the engine running but this time with the hood opened and record it next to the engine to establish if the rattle is from the engine or the transmission.

If this truck is so down in power as you suggest I would park it up until the fault is repaired, for your own safety

Best wishes

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland
Biggar, Scotland

WytchDctr
10-28-2005, 03:54
Ill try and get that video of the motor with the hood up. Do you want me to take the video at startup when its cold (when its running like pure crap) or after its warmed up and running "normal". That rattle is coming from the front of the engine bay. The oil consuption is around 1 quart per week if I just drive it around post. If I go more than 200-250miles straight it will need a quart. I saw that problem before the power loss. It got a little worse after.

twaddle
10-28-2005, 08:09
Hi Wytch Dctr,
Yes the pictures with the engine cold and then hot would be better.
The more info the better.

Also check how much crankcase back pressure you are getting at the oil filler when the cap is removed, also compare this when cold and hot. If you are unsure compare it with another 6.2 engine that runs ok.

Any sign of getting hold of a compression tester?

I just had a thought with you saying the rattle is at the front of the engine.
With the engine shut off take a hold of the crankshaft damper/pulley and give it a good shake.
If it's loose you may have a broken crankshaft.

Best regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

WytchDctr
11-05-2005, 01:42
Thanks for the help and the book. Its going to get its compression test done now. We shall see. smile.gif