PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Serpentine Belt?

Vaughn MacKenzie
10-24-2005, 16:31
What's it take to convert the V-belt setup to a serpentine system? I don't have AC. Would the hydaulic pump & alternator need replaced or just swap pulleys? Rig is an '82.

This thing is real hard on V-belts for some reason and they keep slipping and glazing over. Even though the belts are properly tightened. It was quite a battle for the previous owner, no sure what the deal is.

Thanks, Vaughn

Dieselboy
10-25-2005, 10:43
It takes money, some metal fab, and a lot of patience.

There are two generations for serpentine drive systems: 88-95 and 96-2000. Each has their respective non-AC variant. Go to your local GM part counter, look at some drawings, get some part numbers, and gmpartsdirect.com will likely have the best pricing. The earlier generation is the easiest to adapt, but will not work in concert with a Banks turbo manifold. The later style is much more difficult to convert, and the alternator just clears a TE06H turbo on a Banks manifold.

What get's replaced? Everything: the PS pump, alternator(s), AC compressor, front pulley, and water pump. The advantage of a serpentine drive are: true 97+ cooling, Dmax fan, KD fan clutch, dual alternators, and increased belt life to name a few.

I converted my 85 to the 96-2000 style, and there's quite a bit of fabrication involved, but it can all be done with basic metal working tools and a little patience. I'm writing an article to cover the process, but darned if my last semester at Texas A&M isn't taking up all my time right now. smile.gif

Here's my stuff:
http://tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Diesel-Stuff/DSCN1600.jpg

[ 10-25-2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Dieselboy ]

Vaughn MacKenzie
10-31-2005, 12:10
Dieselboy I like your setup! Definitely more work than it's worth to me though. What I'm thinking to do is get an smaller pulley for the crank to slow down the accessory RPM and I think that will help a lot. Also the viscous hub on my fan is stuck so it's always engaged. Between these two things I should be able to solve the belt slippage.

The motor turns high RPM on the highway due to the 3.73 gears, 30" tires and no OD. When I am cruising down the freeway it's turning a little under 3000.

Vaughn

NH2112
10-31-2005, 18:42
David,

Maybe you can help me - I'm swapping in a '99 Goodwrench 6.5l, but from what I've been told it has the earlier serpentine setup (AC compressor at top right, alternator top left.) I don't need the AC or the vacuum pump, can I pull both of these off and get a belt that fits or will I need to find an idler that goes where the vacuum pump is now? Leaving the compressor and vac pump hooked up isn't a problem, but I'd just as soon not have anything on there that I don't need.

Dieselboy
10-31-2005, 19:17
To my knowledge, the only combination of 6.5 that had no AC and no vacuum pump was out of a box van with the first generation of serpentine. It had a L65 NA, so no wastegate requiring vacuum and no AC. That's the factory answer.

I chose to fab my own idler bracket in place of the vacuum pump, and I'm not sure of any other options regarding deletion of the AC pulley. I'm not as familiar with the earlier generation of serpentine as I am the latter. You do need a pulley there for belt routing unless you get creative with something entirely new.

My vacuum idler:
http://tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Diesel-Stuff/idler.jpg http://tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Diesel-Stuff/idler2.jpg

NH2112
11-02-2005, 14:03
David,

Just a few more questions - did your alternator plug have 1 or 2 wires? If 1, how did you hook it up to the harness in your '85? And did you use the stock 6.5l fuel filter? If so, does the 2nd outlet tube go to the tube coming from the fuel return tube and passing under the intake? How about the hydroboost hoses? Did you use the original hoses from your truck, or the ones that came on your 6.5l?

Dieselboy
11-02-2005, 16:59
I don't have a 6.5L. That's a 96 6.5TD accessory system on a 87 military hummer 6.2L in an 85 suburban. Everything is vintage 85 - hoses, filters, etc.

I haven't hooked up the alternators yet. The original harness has a two wire plug, but the alternators have a single wire plug. I haven't got that answer yet - need to compare some wiring diagrams.

john8662
11-02-2005, 20:44
Vaughn MacKenzie,

Just a FYI, when you can't keep belts on the 82-84 engines, it's usually because the pulley is worn down and needs to be replaced. This can also be true of the crank pulley down below.

Dieselboy,

WOW! But Waaaay too much work for my tastes, I've got most of the same parts from the 96+ serpentine setup, so I'll be watching what you're doing here before making the conversion on the shorty truck (so I can have HO water pump too).

Dieselboy
11-03-2005, 04:33
John,

I'm just a glutton for punishment. :D I'll save all the drawings if you would like a copy of them for your conversion.

opto
11-03-2005, 12:01
If I have a 82 block and all the hardware from a 91 serpentine setup, will it bolt on? Or is there some differences in the castings so there will be missing holes for some bolts?

Dieselboy
11-03-2005, 13:23
The only apparent difference came in 1996+ heads where there was a new hole drilled and tapped to anchor a different serpentine bracket.

The 93 engine we have has the exact same holes as the 6.2Ls we have. I think your serpentine will bolt up without any problem.