PDA

View Full Version : Optima yellow tops? Worth the money?

Portland Suburban
11-06-2005, 11:51
Hi folks, this may not be the appropriate section. I apologize if it is not. Anyway...

I am looking to replace the utter garbage that passes for batteries in my new (to me) 82 6.2 sub. In looking around, I noticed the optima yellow tops provide 900 CCA at 0 degrees (F). My question is, it is worth the extra $100 or so dollars per battery to run these (because you have to run two) or use the extra cash for wiring upgrades between a two standard 800CCA batteries.

Thanks.

restoguy
11-06-2005, 17:46
Personally I love the Optima bats. There are a few diesel guys here who switched to optimas and went to just one battery with out any trouble. I think that the yellow tops may be a little more than necessary. The red tops have worked fine for everyone I know. There are as many different opinions as there are people however. One local parts man says that even though they are better batteries, the extra cost offsets the benefit. I have had a couple and loved them. And I will continue to buy them as I need batteries in the future.

Flat57
11-07-2005, 13:07
I have used a yellow top in my 73 corvette for a few years now. I was having trouble with the battery going dead for a while, and got tired of replacing batteries. Once I put in the yellow top, I haven't had to replace it in three or four years, and it has still gone completely dead a few times during that time. Garden variety lead acid batteries sometimes fail after going completely dead only once. They are more expensive, but if you have been having trouble with batteries failing, they are a good way to go.

redbird2
11-07-2005, 18:58
I switched my fleet of trucks to optimas 2 years ago and have found them to be worth every penny extra we pay for them we have 680 trucks in our IL fleet, they are great in the dead of winter.

stingthieves
11-10-2005, 12:56
Did the sales guy try to sell you two yellow tops? I might consider using two red tops! Anyone else think thats inportant? Rick

Portland Suburban
11-11-2005, 21:31
No one tried to sell me anything. I know that deep cycles are usually overkill for the average person. However, 2 red tops and a blue top for accessories would be nice with isolator inbetween.

Chris

Dieselboy
11-12-2005, 07:34
I've been running two red tops in the 85 with great success.

trbankii
11-14-2005, 05:10
One thing to consider is the difference between the red tops and the yellow tops. The red tops are a "starter" battery while the yellow tops are deep cycle.

A lot of people think that the deep cycle is better because you can run it down to nothing and then recharge it. Also, for something that is seasonal, it will last longer sitting unused.

But if you go and look at the specs for each, you'll notice that the CCA for the yellow tops (I'm using a 75/25 size for comparison) is 650 amps while the red tops is 720 amps.

For a diesel engine where you already have two batteries to give you maximum CCA, you're defeating the purpose a bit by going to yellow tops. Go with the red tops and you'll stand a better chance of getting things going on those bitterly cold mornings.

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2005, 09:05
I use Yellow Tops in my '01. The only reason is dry camping....The added assurance of still being able to start the engine after the lights get left on overnight, or the furnace is in demand, and you don't want to, or can't run a generator during the night. The Red Tops would probably be OK, but a few "deep cycles" will kill a "starting only" battery. I've had situations where the juice was used through the night, and the truck still started normally the next morning. Very impressive. The Yellow tops have an extraordinary capacity, but may not be any better than a Red Top for starting only.

The Yellow Top is a dual purpose battery, meaning it is a deep cycle and starting battery. The Red Top is a starting only battery, and the Blue Top is a deep cycle only battery.

If you don't need deep cycle, get the Red Tops. If you frequently discharge the battery to the point it needs charging before it will start your engine, then a Yellow Top may be best.

Portland Suburban
11-14-2005, 16:43
FYI, there are yellow tops rated at 900CCA. smile.gif

trbankii
11-14-2005, 19:07
Says who?

Right off the Optima website, the best yellow top is 750/870 CCA for the D34/78 and D34 sizes, followed by 650/810 CCA for the D75/25 and D35 sizes, and 500/625 CCA for the D51/D51R size. CCA given for zero/32 degrees F.

The red top is 800/1000 CCA for the 34/34R, 34/78, and 6V sizes, followed by 720/910 CCA for the D75/25 and 25/35 sizes. Again, CCA given for zero/32 degrees F.

Portland Suburban
11-14-2005, 19:20
Ok, here we go. The 31T and the 31A are rated for 900CCA.

http://www.batteryweb.com/optima-detail.cfm?Model=D31T&Section=DEEP%20CYCLE%20MARINE%20%26%20TRUCK

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/commercial/technical_specs.html

I am sure I can find more.

trbankii
11-15-2005, 04:32
Well sure, you're going into the heavy equipment sizes... tongue.gif I was sticking with the automotive sizes:

Red Top Starter Batteries (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter/technical_specs.html)

Yellow Top Deep Cycle Batteries (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle/technical_specs.html)

stingthieves
11-15-2005, 08:27
I have been selling red tops since they first came out in the Gates Brand and label. My first private purchase was for my emergency generator

Portland Suburban
11-15-2005, 18:27
At this point, with this purchase, I don't even look at car rated anything. All heavy duty at this point. smile.gif

trbankii
11-16-2005, 04:05
I can understand that in concept, but when the commercial version is 4 1/2" longer and 2" higher than the OEM size for the truck, doesn't come with standard side or top posts, and is 27 lbs. heavier it becomes a bit difficult to make things fit at times.

Portland Suburban
11-16-2005, 04:49
I would agree. So, in that case, if I were to go with that size of battery, the best course of action would be to mount in rear of Sub with 1/0 AWG cable. Spendy for sure-but the rig would have overall less weight in the front and live a happier life. I have seen this done. But for me, I like to use the back for sleeping and am not quite sure about sleeping with 1800 CCA of power. smile.gif

Craig M
11-16-2005, 12:03
A single red top will start my 2 stroke Detroit 8V71 engine 5 or so times with a full charge. Alternator was out for a while, so I know this for a fact. This is in mild weather, but it will work. A single red top will start a 6.2 or 6.5 nicely in mild weather also. Dual yellows or reds will give one the extra cranking time one might require in colder weather.

Portland Suburban
11-20-2005, 19:15
Check out Costco. They hacve 900CCA with 36/100 mo warranties for $65. Man, that is what I am going for, as well as, 1/0 wire. It looks like Mcmaster will work for the wire conversion-unless anyone here has some recommendations.

dieselbegreat
11-21-2005, 09:44
I have a couple old trucks that are only used for hunting/hauling firewood 5 or 6 times a year and are in a remote location. The lead-acid batteries are ALWAYS going dead sitting around. Would the Optimas be THE answer to that problem?

trbankii
11-21-2005, 10:44
I was going to suggest one of these for a truck that was rarely operated:
http://www.batterytender.com/

That is until I saw you mentioned "remote location" there...

The Battery Tender is great, though. I have one on my motorcycle during the winter and have the same eight year old battery in it that came with it when it was new. I've been thinking about getting one for the Toyota since I'm not driving it nearly as often. They also make multiple bank chargers, but it is easier for me to have individual units so that I can leave the battery in the vehicle instead of pulling them and grouping them together on a bench or something.

Portland Suburban
11-21-2005, 16:25
You can get the cheap version at any walmart or harbor tool. I have one for my bike as well. Works nicely here in the cold.

trbankii
11-22-2005, 04:36
I had tried one of the cheaper versions and it ended up screwing up the battery after about four years. I'm amazed at what the Battery Tender does - going on the ninth year on this battery and it still starts like it was brand new!

moondoggie
11-22-2005, 13:30
Good Day!

Many moons ago, B4 sophisticated battery chargers, I knew a guy who kept his motorcycle batteries a LOT longer than the rest of us. He simply removed his battery in the fall, left it in the unattached garage (where it is colder than in the house), hooked his conventional battery charger to the battery, removed one of the light bulbs from his garage door opener & screwed a plug-in adapter in, & plugged the battery charger into this adapter. Voila! Twice a day or so, his motorcycle battery got a 2 or 3 minute charge.

Blessings!

dieselbegreat
11-24-2005, 07:48
That's a great idea, moondoggie. Yeah, lead-acid batteries like to be kept charged (but not overcharged). I buy WalMart batteries and then when they go bad (from very little use) I bring them back and get a pro-rated replacement, usually costing about $15.

In that remote location I am considering getting a small photovoltaic panel and sealing it to the roof to trickle charge, but that might cost more than just getting an Optima. Maybe I'll try one and report back how it goes.

DmaxMaverick
11-24-2005, 08:00
Just a note on Optima batteries....

They are lead-acid batteries. Not gel, and not dry. The design, quality and appearance is different, but that's it.

Optima attributes the performance and durability to the design, and I'm inclined to believe them.

dieselbegreat
11-24-2005, 11:54
Thanks.

shamanie
11-27-2005, 06:45
I left my lights on for about 5 hours yesterday. Havn"t had a chance to start her up yet....we"ll find out if yellow tops are worth the money in about 10 minutes....

shamanie
11-27-2005, 07:26
Nope....drained'em good....I need to hook up a buzzer of some sort that will let me know my lights are still on. Or I can pull my head out of my ass and remember to turn my lights off....worse...my mother pulled my jumper cables out of my truck when I had it shipped from vegas to akron....

Still love my yellow tops.

Portland Suburban
11-27-2005, 09:36
Well, I can tell you the value of saving $50 on batteries. The batteries in my rig were purchased by some numb skull before the rig was in my possession. I cannot think of any batteries lower quality than the 40 month Napa batteries. So now, if it is cold and I have not run the block heater, there is little chance the rig will start easy and definitely not with the glow plugs on at the same time.

So...I will be purchasing the costco 78DT, 900CCA for $65 a piece so that the rig will actually start cold.

smile.gif

CleviteKid
11-28-2005, 13:44
The Kirkland Signature batteries are made by Johnson Controls, one of three major battery companies in the US. You can look at the JCI WEBSITE (http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.asp) to see all the other brands that are equivalent. Then you can buy your batteries where you get the best service, the lowest price, etc. etc.

Dr. Lee :cool: