PDA

View Full Version : New Pump Bad Results

JFT
11-08-2005, 18:57
I recently put a Banks System, rebuilt heads and pump from an 82, and new injectors on my 89 Suburban. The heads and pump were from an 82 cause I got a great deal on them. Truck was running fine when I disassembled but had a small water leak out of one head. Now I got major smoke, rough running and clatter if I press the pedal much past idle. Truck did sputter a little like a timing issue. Is there a chance of incompatability on parts here? Did I misalign timing by a tooth? I thought I was careful on this. Moved pump around and did not notice much difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not looking forward to ripping the front off just to get a looky loo at the timing marks. Although I suspect this has to be the problem with it running this badly.

john8662
11-08-2005, 20:10
Do you have access to a diesel compression tester?

If so, that would be the first thing I'd check, given the suspect leaking head gasket.

As far as the timing, how were the gears lined up? The gear will line up dot to dot. This goes for the crank and cam gears and the cam gear to the IP driven gear. I'll bet you got that right.

The 82 heads will work on an 89 6.2 block, just make sure that you use 6.2 head gaskets and NOT 6.5L gaskets. The main difference that you probably noticed with the '82 heads is that you had to acquire a new set of injectors, because the '82 heads used coarse thread injectors, but still had the same internals of the later long body fine threaded body injectors.

JFT
11-09-2005, 09:58
Thanks for the info but the head leak was not an issue for over a year. It was coming out of the unused water jacket in the forward part of the engine. I added water once. The new heads I installed were flawless. The problem is definitely an all cylinder thing. One mechanic I spoke with said it could be wrong injectors popping too soon or spraying in the head wrong. From what I have read the injection pop off is not an issue cause all DB2 pumps are compatible with any injector you can put in the 6.2. Thought maybe nozzle length or pattern could be an issue with the 82 head. When I reassembled I used marks put on by last engine swap. Figured that was infalible since motor has 100k since it was installed 4 years ago. Could pump drive have a tooth or two different position than pump I removed? I installed according to marks put on gears then turned pump to that position for installation. Should I have put pump in a certain position and installed drive gear accordingly? Assuring TDC of course.

john8662
11-09-2005, 11:24
Yes, you did it right, you install the pump on the timing cover, then rotate the pump to match your gear that is lined up with the cam mounted gear. Turning the injection pump input won't be a problem at all.

You also install the pump with the alignment stud going into the oval hole on the IP driven gear. You can only do this one way, because if the key is in the oval hole, then you can get all three bolts to go in, if not, they won't all go in.

Shouldn't have a problem with the injectors. All 6.2 injectors had the same pop pressure. It wasn't until the 6.5 that the pop pressure was raised, and even then it was done on the turbo models.

mhagie
11-10-2005, 04:11
It is wise to look at the injector lines again for correct instalation its not at all that hard to cross lines and really mess up the firing order
Merle

JFT
11-11-2005, 09:36
Really appreciate the suggestions. Went straight out and checked the line configuration. Had hoped that I screwed it up but I didin't. Guess the front end is coming apart. Won't fit in my little garage and we're having crap weather. Going to rig something to push the front end in and out over the shop hump. Atleast I'll be out of ma nature's direct on slaught. THANKS AGAIN. Any more suggestions truly appreciated.

JFT
11-18-2005, 13:38
Installed the pump correctly. Is there anything on the pump that would make it run this bad and out white smoke? The vacuum piece on this one was different than the pump I removed so I just swapped them out. Could that do it? Any suggestions appreciated.