PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 starter option

calvinlewington
11-13-2005, 04:03
I've heard that a 6.5 starter will work well on an older 6.2 giving it higher rpm's for cold starting .What's the difference between the starters and are they a direct replacement for the 6.2 or is there a high torque replacement anyone out there can recommend ?

BobND
11-13-2005, 08:11
The newer, gear-reduction starter is a direct replacement for the original older starter, but you need a new front support brace, part # 23502557.

I am running several gear reduction starters on older 6.2's, on northern ND, and don't notice much difference in cold cranking.

With the 60G glow plugs and extended glow-time mods, cold starting is not a problem, down to, and below temps at which it SHOULD be plugged in.

NH2112
11-13-2005, 09:00
The gear reduction starters actually produce lower cranking RPM - still sufficient to start the engine - but they do it using much less current than the direct-drive starters. They're also slightly easier to install, IMO.

gavio
11-13-2005, 14:33
I got mine from NAPA - the truck parts division has good rebuilds for a very reasonable price.

I had to do a little trial and error to find an application listing that produced the correct nose configuration (open/closed) but it was worth the few minutes.

I noticed immediate improvement, but my old starter was tired anyway. In the long run, what I've noticed is that it does not wear the batteries down to bleed it after an airlock, start it after running out of fuel, or even to start with cold veggie oil in the pump (only made that mistake once) - it seems like it'd crank just about forever.

Good luck!

NH2112
11-13-2005, 16:25
You know, I've used both open and closed-nose starters on both manuals and automatics, and never had any problems with either. Any idea why there would be a difference, unless the closed nose happens to hit on a certain bellhousing?

BobND
11-13-2005, 21:14
I was wondering, too, about the open and closed "noses". I've pretty much used them interchangeably, and haven't YET run into one that wouldn't fit. There must be a reason, though, for the 2 styles!

Low_Bridge
12-03-2005, 12:07
I was "learn-ed" that close nose are for 4 wheel drives applications?

Believe it or not?

Anyone else ever hear that?