PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 tranny new detent cable now no OD.

calvin01
08-16-2003, 19:19
Recently I change my intake gasket and noticed the detent cable for the tranny off the throttle was frayed. I replaced the cable and decided to change the tranny oil(bad idea, what a friggin pain to access) and filter as well. I put some new dextron III fluid in and took it out for a test drive. It shifted great but would not drop into OD unless I took my foot all the way off the accelerator. I took the tools I needed for the job with me and kept pulling over and making adjustments until I had made every possible combination of cable length(kept burning my hand on the intake to make things worse). The changes made quite a difference in the RPM before it would shift but it would still not shift into OD. I've heard of problems guys had when they put new tranny fluid in and it wouldn't shift after that unless they put the old fluid back in. The manual says use dextron II but I couldn't find it assuming they upgraded to dextron III now as a standard. Any idea's what might be wrong? Thanks for any help?

britannic
08-16-2003, 21:29
The way GM designed the 700R4, there is only one way to adjust the TV cable properly, otherwise you risk destroying the tranny. Check out this link for a complete how-to: TV Cable 101 (http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/)

calvin01
08-17-2003, 18:01
Thanks Britannic, This is such a huge help. I thought I had found the sweet spot by monkeying around. I hope I haven't done them friction plates in with the 5km I put on the truck adjusting the cable. When I purchased the cable I asked what that 'D' shaped button was for so the parts guy said he would take it to the tech's and ask them. He brought the cable back telling me that it was the adjustment and said "the tech guys said to make sure it's not too tight" they were probably placing bets on how long it would be before they saw my truck come in for repair. Thanks again, I am eager to try this.