PDA

View Full Version : Lift pump replacement q

Eric Deslauriers
08-19-2003, 08:04
I have to pull the lift pump in order to install my oil return adapter. (83 J code 6.2)

Is there anything special I need to know? e.g. in smallblocks you can (should) use one of the bolt holes in the front of the block to hold the pump drive rod to simplify your job.

TIA,
Eric

britannic
08-19-2003, 08:31
When you get the lift pump off, make sure the backing plate is removed as well, this plate will be discarded if you're installing the Bank's oil return adaptor.

To keep the rod located in the housing, pull it out and coat it in some grease, then push it back in, this should keep it from falling out when you install the pump.

catmandoo
08-19-2003, 20:08
i use a long feeler gauge(12 inch) or hacksaw blade get it under the rod and then slide the fuel pump arm under the blade.

john8662
08-19-2003, 21:49
Yup, I second what was said above. Unfortunatly in the design of the 6.2 they left out an innovation that was on the chevy V8 gassers, the lil bolt that you can take out and screw in a longer one to wedge the rod from coming down. But the job can be done without the help of the holder bold as used in the gassers, just take a lil more patience. By the way, the grease trick only works if the engine is bone cold, otherwise, well you can figure that one out...

Eric Deslauriers
08-20-2003, 05:22
Thanks everyone!

Here's one more tip that just came to me in a flashback to my very younger years - use a rubber band. Pull the rod, wipe it down, put it back in and loop a rubber band around it. Pull up on the rubber band, and the rod stays put. Slide your pump in and then break the rubber band. smile.gif

So, with a cold engine (hasn't been started in 4 weeks), I just fell back to the Chevy SB shortcut - axle bearing grease. Pulled the rod, wiped it off, dabbed some grease on it, and slid it back up there.

It actually held better than the majority of SBs I've done. It was cake, actually. Well, only because I didn't need to take the hardline off. It started to spin with the nut, so I see a new hardline in my future (when the lift pump goes).

I just needed to pull it to swap out the plate for the one I'd fabbed up with an oil return tube for my new-to-me turbo. :D