PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil fans?

wfopete
08-19-2003, 12:25
Any Amsoil users out there using the Amsoil oil & oil filters on thier rigs. Do they seem to do better at filtering/protecting your engine?

Eric Deslauriers
08-20-2003, 05:39
I'm a Mobil1 fan. Buy it at WalMart when it's on sale for $1-2 a quart. Stock up big. smile.gif

Amsoil has its share of followers, but here's a story...

Somy guy I met at the dunes has an independantly spring Honda Odyssey 350 (made them one year, so you know how hard finding parts is going to be). It calls for 20:1 for the 2 stroke oil. Amsoil says theirs is mixed at 100:1. For everything.

It wasn't running right, so I helped him tinker. 70:1 w/ Amsoil made it much happier (not perfect, but enough to quit messing with it and run it), but I'd still be concerned about the bearings and piston.

My question is, how does that work? My weed wacker wants 32:1, my chainsaw 40:1, my dirtbike gets 40:1 w/ Yamalube synthetic, etc. (calls for 35:1), this fellow's Odyssey wanted 20:1.

I am very skeptical about their 100:1 claim for everything.

FWIW, my last gasser truck went 250K miles and wasn't using any oil between 3,000 (no towing) mile oil changes when I sold it. I used Havoline 10W40. In some test, it outperformed a fair number of synthetic blends and a synth or two as well. ;)

YMMV.

jonflies
08-26-2003, 07:58
I've used Amsoil for almost 20 years now. Their marketing is different than the big guys (Mobil etc), as they utilize some multi level techniques, but according to the literature, their products outperform everyone else, hands down.

83Silverado
08-26-2003, 08:46
"...according to their literature." Sorry, I just wanted to point that out. Have you ever seen *any* manufacturer claim that their product was second-best?