PDA

View Full Version : She is a-live!

Eric Deslauriers
08-21-2003, 02:40
I'm breaking one of my rules. I'm in my office covered in grease, sitting in my chair typing with nearly clean hands at best. It's 1:30 and the hardest time I had was finding longer bolts for the 6.5 exhaust manifold.

I just took the motorhome for a ride. Woo-hee, that new pump and injectors made a difference. I never thought 225 ft/lbs and 140hp would move 14,000# like that.

There a steep hill to my house that I was pulling 25 before. From starting 1/2 way up (construction blocking it these past 4 weeks), I hit 38. Tim at AccurateDiesel.com gets my nod. He did my injectors and my pump. It looks really nice on there. smile.gif

I think I'm smoking a tad too much, but we'll see what happens when the turbo gets added (I had the pump set up for a turbo).

It's WAY peppier and takes a lot less pedal to maintain 55. And this is with the timing marks lined up and almost 100K on the clock (the timing was almost completely advanced with the last pump).

She's going in tomorrow AM for all new exhaust. Then we'll see what difference the turbo makes (right now the exhaust manifold on that side is dumping 1/2 into the exhaust, 1/2 out the turbo).

It's surprisingly quiet (especially since the exhaust side doesn't quite mate up to the exhaust, so it's really 1/3 into the exhaust and 1/3 out the side, 1/3 through the turbo)

The VDO EGT unit which came installed is just eating fuses. I misplaced the EGT probe for the gauge set that came with the motor (GRRRRRR), so I guess I'll spring for one tomorrow at the exhaust shop.

I can't wait to see what my mileage goes to.

A quick shower, bed, then a 6:00 call so I can get to the exhaust shop when they open!

Thanks everyone for all your help on this!!!

britannic
08-21-2003, 09:03
You may find some more power by advancing the timing slightly if the lines are aligned. Start with TDC @ 1400 (usually where the lines meet, unless the timing is really, really worn!) and very slightly increase it from there (need to be careful with a turbo application, since the boost speeds up combustion).

I'm running TDC @ 2000rpm, which is just under 1/16" between my lines (YMMV) with the pump rotated toward the driver's side.

Obviously exercise great caution and use a timing meter, because 14000lbs of weight will help destroy the rear pistons/glow plugs (if not all of them) very rapidly if combustion occurs way too early.

GM set the timing very conservatively, to allow for all altitudes and air densities/temps, since they didn't fit an altitude compensation system to the mechanical pumps. This is why we can find a bit more power with discrete timing adjustments.

britannic
08-21-2003, 09:18
You may find some more power by advancing the timing slightly if the lines are aligned. Start with TDC @ 1400 (usually where the lines meet, unless the timing is really, really worn!) and very slightly increase it from there (need to be careful with a turbo application, since the boost speeds up combustion).

I'm running TDC @ 2000rpm, which is just under 1/16" between my lines (YMMV) with the pump rotated toward the driver's side.

Obviously exercise great caution and use a timing meter, because 14000lbs of weight will help destroy the rear pistons/glow plugs (if not all of them) very rapidly if combustion occurs way too early.

GM set the timing very conservatively, to allow for all altitudes and air densities/temps, since they didn't fit an altitude compensation system to the mechanical pumps. This is why we can find a bit more power with discrete timing adjustments.