PDA

View Full Version : white smoke when blip gas pedal

Eric Deslauriers
08-21-2003, 20:18
I advanced my pump 1/8" to cure the smokes a lot at idle, so it smokes a ton less at idle.

Now it smokes grey when you blip the accelerator pedal.

Tips (wishing the forum history was around since I've seen that answer about 10 times)?

Eric Deslauriers
08-21-2003, 21:01
I also went 3/8s and it may or may not have gotten better, but not a ton.

BTW, before I advanced it I was
a) leaving a 3" tubular trail of smoke behind me
b) getting very nasty looks from people due to the immense grey cloud at the lights. And I mean immense. 70mph burnouts sitting still never looked this bad (well, better anyways!). ;)

I'll test it here in a bit.

britannic
08-22-2003, 00:02
Just a friendly note of caution :D : be very careful with that 3/8" setting, I'm assuming you rotated that amount toward the driver's side? How much clatter are you hearing from the engine with that setting? Too much timing advance will eventually result in engine damage. I would definitely recommend a setting your timing with a meter to be on the safe side.

You could still be seeing the effects of that turbo oil drain that was going out of the turbo seals, some of it may be coming from the intake side.

Eric Deslauriers
08-22-2003, 01:21
Nope, problem is burning oil. :(

I noticed that I forgot to tighten the silicone hose on the pressure side of the turbo, so I was only seeing 5psi. With it tight, I get to 10, but at 3/8s, it's no faster than when it was N/A (with the new pump). The only difference is that I get a nice turbo whine. ;)

I'll back timing back down to stock, fix the turbo oil leak, and start over.

Sigh. At least it doesn't look like I have to redo my exhaust manifold. I suddenly recall that the turbo had oil on the intake vanes when I bought it. D'oh!! The significance is no longer lost on me...

britannic
08-22-2003, 08:41
That 3/8" timing advance is robbing the engine of power, there should definitely be more than the N/A at 10psi boost with more fuel being injected.

Eric Deslauriers
08-22-2003, 17:16
Backed down the timing to 1/16th and now it feels like a big hand shoving you down the road. smile.gif

I'll have it timed for real soon.