PDA

View Full Version : timing

Texas_Hale
08-23-2003, 22:11
Hi everyone, I recently had to replace my timing cover because the water journals erroded out. While I was in there, I decided to replace the timeing chaing. I lined everything up fine but had really poor power. I need to go back for a second. Before this, my injector pump was advanced as far as it could go. So when I was puiting everything back together, I decided to get the newly rebuilt injector pump off of my Suburban and thought that would take care of the problem. Back to the poor power. I tried advancing the pump as far as it could go and still had poor power. So I pulled everthing apart again and then started to advance the timing with the timing gears. I got an optimum perfomance having the gears out of time with each other by two teeth. She is running great now, but my question is this. has enyone ever had a problem with the timing marks not lining up at proper time?

britannic
08-23-2003, 22:48
Something's not right, how did you line up your timing gear marks and the pump gear?

Has the pump timng been checked with a gear?

Texas_Hale
08-23-2003, 23:07
Well, I initiallly aligned all the dots. Very bad power that way. I then took off the timing cover and would put the pump gear ahead one tooth at a time (there is no timing mark on the new timing cover, but I know where it usually is.) I set the pump straight up while I was doing this with the gears. After I did all the gear stuff, I then did fine adjustments with the pump. It doesn't make any excessive diesel noise where it is now. I no longer have white smoke issues at all(where I used to before.)I agree it is very disturbing to do this, but man it feels like a brand new truck. It starts on less than 1/4 of a starter spin, it's awesome. I have not had it timed with any timing equipment. This is the best this truck has ran the whole time I have had it (over two years.)