PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads?

gamerunner2001
08-25-2003, 05:24
I've only owned my 1986 6.2 suburban for about 18 months, older brother had it for 12 years before me. Jasper remanfactured engine about 70000 miles ago, runs like a top. I take good care of this truck, spent a lot of time and money fixing things my older brother let go. Regular maintence, oil, filter change is the biggest change plus lots of little things, like breaks front & rear, fixed the cruise control, upgraded the r-12 air, break lines, drained and replaced all the fluids, tranfer case, tranny, radiatior. New hoses, belts, shocks. You probably get the point? New inner front fender wells, hydro boost and master cyclinder. The one area I haven't done anything to this truck is BODY WORK, its in MInnesota and is rusting through both sides rocker panels, left rear quarter panel, tail gate is ready to fall off. QUESTION-- Do I stay with the known, my truck and shell out the bucks to a body shop or find a body and swap out my jasper 6.2? I've never done body work, don't own the tools to cut and weld metal. Open to anyone elses experiences with this RUST THING.

Gamerunner
264000 miles and going strong with lots of rust.

catmandoo
08-25-2003, 07:20
i don't know about up there but there is a couple of places here in iowa that carry texas boxes and cabs and so on. i want to think like 600.00 to 800.00 for a box which is just held on with like 6 bolts it would cost you about that for one box side installed. usually the cabs are rusted in the rear corners which are replaceable or also under the doors,basically you could build a cab with aftermarket parts but they are thinner and labor intensive if you have a good solid drivetrain i'd be looking for a donor cab and box if you want the phone number of a place down here let me know but with all the rust up there i'm sure there are people that do the same thing there too.look in like the cartrader mags and such.

mhagie
08-25-2003, 20:03
catmandoo,what part of Iowa do you call home? BTY my cab and box came from Texas,No Rust Nowhere just love it. :D

Suburbanator
08-25-2003, 21:32
Gamerunner, I also have a 86 sub. Rear panels wether you patch them or replace them will have to be cut and welded(no way around it)almost all other panels can be bolted directly on. A place out of lenexa,Kansas. Called LMC truck (lmctruck.com)sells every single body panel or part you'll ever need to restore that rig from the ground up.(i.e. a reproduction tailgate runs $349.95 vs. 699.95 for OEM) ;)

Hope this helps,
Troy

TonyL
08-26-2003, 00:26
i am also in minnesota and there is a place that sells rust free body parts, the place i see the ads are in a truck trader that you can buy at any local gas station. I would look took to these for boxes an cabs. For other parts suchas fenders lights grills inner fenders i would try viking auto salavage in farmington they sell new aftermarket and used parts or certi-fit in vadnais hights they only sell new after market parts, there not factory quality but there cheap and they dont have rust holes in them. I bought 2 front fenders for my 83 for 80 dollars. both of these places are in the yellow pages. good luck

Tony

TonyL
08-26-2003, 00:29
p.s.

the parts you could get locally are the same as ones you will get from any mail order place unless they say they are original equipment you just dont have to pay to ship them.

gamerunner2001
08-26-2003, 04:39
Thanks for the info, just happening to be driving down to Lawrence, Kansas on Thursday so I will find my way to Lenxa. Heard about that yard out in Farmington, on my list of things to check out. Driving through Texas in early March, have plenty of time to spend looking for solid parts. I think I've answered my own question. I know my suburban mechanically, now I'm going to figure it out on the body end.

Thanks

Brian

catmandoo
08-26-2003, 07:08
hey mhagie i'm up in the storm lake area

catmandoo
08-26-2003, 07:12
1 thing to note those aftermarket *** fenders and doors don't fit to save thier a#*. and they are thinner then oem stuff

mhagie
08-26-2003, 18:39
The guy I bought my Texas cab from probably has the largest selection of rust free suburban tubs of anyone around,when I was there last he had around 8 or so.
Fairfax Iowa, just outside Cedar Rapids
I also agree, for front fenders & hood & doors factory GM parts are the best they aren't that much more than the Tiawan and fit better.
If you want the phone number e-mail me at mhagie@iowatelecom.net and it shall be yours. :D

catmandoo
08-26-2003, 20:42
ther ya go mhagie thats the guy i was thinking of just couldn't remember if it was fairfield or fairfax.

gamerunner2001
08-27-2003, 04:53
Thanks Mhagie: I would like that phone number, leaving for Lawrence, Kansas tomorrow and might want to catch this place on Tuesday next week as I begin heading home.

Brian

mhagie
08-27-2003, 20:20
Brian, Sorry for the delay but I just now was able to sit down at computer.
The Business is Rust Free Auto Parts Co.
319-846-2220 Hope this of some help to you and good luck on your project. :D

mhagie
08-27-2003, 20:22
Brian, Sorry for the delay but I just now was able to sit down at computer.
The Business is Rust Free Auto Parts Co.
319-846-2220 Hope this of some help to you and good luck on your project. :D