PDA

View Full Version : Finally, The Turbo!

Dieselboy
08-31-2003, 07:53
Patience has paid off, and now that the rest of the Banks stuff got here earlier in the week, I'm nearly finished getting her all put together.

I'll be wrapping up the rest of the gauge package today along with the exhaust, and then it's test drive time! We'll see how my Art-Carr TH700 holds up to the mighty TE06H! :D

I'll post some pictures with more details when I can upload them tonight or tomorrow.

Dieselboy
09-02-2003, 15:32
We started and ran the truck late Sunday. Wow! What a difference some boost makes. We ran out of time to get all the little details finished up, but I will get it all done on Friday. I didn't get to run it that long, and only got the boost up to about 7 psi and 850 F on the EGT.

What kind of EGTs and boost should I be seeing at 60mph highway cruise, in town, and under load?

britannic
09-02-2003, 15:53
At cruise: between 300-500F/1-4psi depending on engine rpms, gearing, weight, cetane, elevation, OAT, humidity and barometric pressure.

Town: too hard to say, as the variables are constantly changing.

Under WOT and load above 2500rpm: anything between 900-1100F/7-15psi (approach 1050F with caution, 1100F is the max in the 6.2L, 1200F is the max for the 6.5LTD); if you increase fuel delivery from the IP pump, increase air flow in and exhaust output, the turbo could make in excess 15psi, but the extra boost is offset by lower air density due to excessive heat above 14psi, unless an intercooler is installed.

Dieselboy
09-02-2003, 20:21
Thanks. I didn't get to drive it much Sunday as classes were starting back again Monday (labor day!). I have to finish out the exhaust, and get some miles on it before I'm comfortable going all over Texas. :D

The completeness of the kit, quality of the exhaust tubing, and instructions were tops, but the exhaust only came with one hanger out at the tailpipe! That muffler is plenty heavy, and I'm just not comfortable letting the v-clamp split the weight of a 15ft exhaust with only one other hanger, so I'm going to fab about two more hangers using the stock rubber isolaters.

The little bit of driving that I did get done showed 60-65mph with 600F and about 1psi of boost. I have the aerodynamics of a house, 4.10s, 35" BFGs, and turn about 1700rpms at 60mph. A gear change might be in my future. ;)

Brittanic, I really appreciate your help with the turbo tech. It saved a lot of time for us, and particularly helped speed along the process of the downpipe mods. As a side note, I had to re-orient the compressor and the center section, so I had the distinct pleasure of working with that HUGE clip that holds the two together.

One-half of the project pictures can be seen on my web page (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/6.2TD/banksturbo)

britannic
09-02-2003, 23:28
Originally posted by Dieselboy:

Britannic, I really appreciate your help with the turbo tech. It saved a lot of time for us, and particularly helped speed along the process of the downpipe mods. As a side note, I had to re-orient the compressor and the center section, so I had the distinct pleasure of working with that HUGE clip that holds the two together. Only too glad to help! That huge C-Clip is a piece of work isn't it!

BTW, were you able to save the seal and reinstall it right - it proved a real pain, you need the mother of all C-Clip pliers to do it. I could only find the daughter of all C-Clip pliers, so boots, shins and muscles were the order of the day :D !!

I noticed when I opened up the air compressor it already had a small semi-circular chunk nipped out of it previously (there's a corresponding slot in the compressor housing which doesn't seem to be used for the Bank's setup).

I was able to re-use the seal by turning it over, since the chunk was only out of the edge.

britannic
09-02-2003, 23:46
DieselBoy, hope you don't mind me posting this link of your excellent picture of the Bank's intake installed in the core support :D !

DieselBoys Bank's Intake Baffle (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/6.2TD/banksturbo/banksintake1.JPG)

DieselBoy's picture clearly shows the baffle on the end of the Bank's air intake on the grill side of the core support. I cut the entire baffle off by severing each of those legs joining it to the core support insert you can see in the picture.

This is what enables my engine to enjoy some ram air from the grill and removes the restrictive baffle. The downside is the risk of water entering, so I can't recommend it, although I have been through heavy snow and rain without problem.

Also, the Bank's air cleaner housing has a water trap slot cut into the lower part of the pipe that connects to the core support via the concertina tubing.

Dieselboy
09-03-2003, 07:13
The seal was in good shape, and luckily had a set of Goliath snap ring pliers. :D

I did notice that chunk, but couldn't locate any indexing feature on the compressor housing. The oil inlet/oulet were 180 degrees off from where they needed to be.

I also looked at the build number on your turbo, and I think it is newer than mine. I have 01333 stamped on the tag.

I also didn't get to use that corrugated drain as it was way too short, so I ended up modifying the regular one.

I'm very eager to get back and finish out the exhaust. smile.gif

britannic
09-03-2003, 08:38
I think the slot is an indexing keyway for use with a different compressor mount, I'm glad our turbo doesn't use it, because as assembled by Bank's for use in the Ford, it's 180 degrees out as you say.

When I get on to my intercooler project, I'm going to find a set of the ultra big C-Clip pliers to move the compressor next time :D ...

Dieselboy
09-03-2003, 10:00
I've been curious about an intercooler myself. The spot right up front and in between the framerails is perfect for a nice Spearco. It makes the most sense to point the compressor down, pass through the cooler, then into the intake from the driver side of the motor. Now that all the Banks stuff is in, the passenger side of the engine compartment is a high rent district, and doesn't seem ideal for intake piping.

What was your plan for location, ins and outs, and cooler size?

britannic
09-03-2003, 11:02
Great minds (well, at least yours) think alike :D ! I'm still researching the best size for the intercooler, but obviously it'll need to flow at least as many pounds of air as the turbo can handle at max output and cool it efficiently.

Dieselboy
09-03-2003, 13:41
I dug up all my old engine build pictures, and put together a writeup. Here's my 6.2L (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/6.2rebuild.htm).

britannic
09-03-2003, 14:54
Your engine is a beautiful thing, I found the whole article to be very emotional :D :D (just kidding), but it was very informative.

Just one note: I noticed that you have your IP rebuilt to 4911 specs, but you stated the injectors were 1800psi pop pressure, which is the 6.2L rating. This may have been a typo, but if not, you'll want to get full duty out of the pump by switching to the 6.5LTD spec (around 2050-2100psi) and enjoy the speedier combustion that'll result.

Dieselboy
09-03-2003, 16:10
That's no typo. :( I'm pretty frustrated with myself for overlooking that detail, but I still have another 16 extra injectors that I can get rebuilt to the right pop pressure. ;)

82beast
09-04-2003, 20:18
From Dieselboy
I've been curious about an intercooler myself. The spot right up front and in between the framerails is perfect for a nice Spearco. It makes the most sense to point the compressor down, pass through the cooler, then into the intake from the driver side of the motor. Now that all the Banks stuff is in, the passenger side of the engine compartment is a high rent district, and doesn't seem ideal for intake piping.

What was your plan for location, ins and outs, and cooler size? Just thought you guys would like know that I am going to be making a liquid i/c for my truck soon as I finsh installing the engine it self. :cool: Once I get started on it I'll keep you guys informed of what/how I did it.

Dieselboy
09-06-2003, 07:36
I finished out the exhaust last night, and did some extensive test driving. I've got a 200 mile trip back to College Station, TX this afternoon, so that will give me some good experience on the highway.

btw: I had zip-tied some insulation over the head pipe to compress and hold it in place, than went back with wire wraps. I removed the zip-ties afterward, but apparently forgot one. It was deformed and hanging under the pipe. :D