PDA

View Full Version : Blockoversy?

imported_
09-01-2003, 10:14
Its been a long standing discussion of the DP New vs Old seasoned. Also is 195HP a max number for a N/A 6.2 - 6.5 All comments please

CleviteKid
09-01-2003, 10:19
If "old seasoned" is the -599 block or its slightly newer equivalent (Jamie has the number) then I think that is a good choice. You have to be lucky enough to find one at a good price

Brand new 2003 AM General block with upgraded design and improved metallurgy is also a good choice; you don't have to be as lucky, but bring a fat wallet to the party.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice . . ." My SAA engine is built on a -599 block.

Dr. Lee :cool:

painthorsman
09-02-2003, 06:44
If you cant' find a "599" block or afford to buy a late AM General block, the next best thing is a very early casting...the blocks cast in 1981 and 1982 have (by all available info), a higher nickel content than the blocks produced in the later years. This gives them a significant increase in strength and thus, less likely to have main web cracking problems. The earliest one I have ever seen, is the one that I'm building for my truck. It was cast in March of 1981, has well over 200,000 miles on it and no web cracks! The downside is... it takes a little more hone action to get a good crosshatch pattern in the bores due to the higher than normal nickel content. :D

Eric Deslauriers
09-02-2003, 07:58
If Painthorseman doesn't want it, I have a fairly complete '82 block sitting in my driveway that I'd like to have someone get some use out of (other than me).

Was supposed to have a broken crank, but in pulling the IP, everything spins just fine. I think the fellow who bought the (clean) truck really wanted someplace to stick his BB since this had a turbo on it. So sad.

But now my motorhome has a turbo. Whee!

painthorsman
09-13-2003, 18:46
Hi Eric,
I wish we lived closer to each other.. I would definately be interested in your 82 fuel oil burner! What would you have to have for it?

wthif
01-16-2004, 10:57
Eric Still have that 82 block?

odee
01-16-2004, 15:34
How thick are the cylinder walls on these early engines? I can put my hands on two of these blocks fairly close to home for cheep. Are they thick enough to allow a over bore to stock 6.5 bore size?

JeepSJ
01-16-2004, 17:31
Eric - how complete is that engine. Just so happens that I'm in the market for one. My wife has been wanting to go to Portland for the weekend...

wthif
01-16-2004, 18:58
JeepSJ don't ruin my fun ;)

As for the other question, no there isn't enough there to bore it out. Just a strong block. I have one in my truck but can't afford the time with out my truck to build it up.